Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NIKON BUCKMASTER INFO
 Login/Join

posted
IAM LEANING TOWARDS A BUCKMASTER 4.5X14SF.ANY INFO OR PROS AND CONS WOULD BE A BIG HELP. THANKS

One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt boy:
IAM LEANING TOWARDS A BUCKMASTER 4.5X14SF.ANY INFO OR PROS AND CONS WOULD BE A BIG HELP. THANKS

Great scope for the money.
I had an older BM on a .300 RUM and it held POI until I replaced it with a Schmidt Und Bender.

Which reticle? Mil Dot?

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the new side focus models on a Stevens 200 in .243 Win with the the regular duplex reticle. (Nikoplex?) It is a fairly thick reticle which some people may not like when shooting at small targets at extreme range at 14X. But, I like it a lot. Don't think you can do better for the money. With my old eyes, I like it better than my new Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 with fine duplex, for sight in targets, at least. The fine duplex kind of blurs out on the heavy black lines on the target, where the heavier Nikon reticle seems to be easier for my eyes to see. Maybe I just don't have my new Leupold focused properly. So far, at least, I am planning for a standard duplex reticle on my next Leupold 4.5-14 VX-3. (I have the current VX-3 with adjustable objective mounted on my new Remington SPS Varmint in .223, but now I think I want one with a fixed objective and standard reticle for my .270WSM to replace a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 Ballistic Plex) But if you are in the $250 or so budget area, I heartily endorse the Buckmasters 4.5-14X from Nikon.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Buckmasters Nikon 4.5-14x40 SF with a mildot reticule mounted on a Howa 1500 Varmint chambered in .243 It is a superb scope for the money. You will not be disappointed if you buy one. My rifle turns in sub 1/4 inch groups with this scope. Good luck.

the nut behind the butt

Posts: 135 | Location: Somerset | Registered: 15 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also think it is a great scope for the money. I would highly recommend one.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had that exact scope on a CZ 17HMR.
Didn't care for it.
Never seemed very sharp or clear.
I must have had a bad example as everyone else thinks BM is a very good scope.
I have Nikon Monarchs that are outstanding.
Give it a try....they seem to have good resale if you want to get out of it.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with that scope. I had a 4.5-14 BMs and sold it to replace with a Zeiss but, that 4.5-14 BMs was a darn fine scope. I also have two of the 6-18 SF models and one 3x9. IMO they can't be beat for the price and perform like many scopes that are much more pricey. Crisp & clear glass and great durability.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Have the 4.5-14x40 SF on my .25/06 Sendero. Great scope, totally happy with it.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Howaby 300 WBY.

Great scope!

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good choice.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 9 buckmasters from 3x9 up to 6x18,I have had all mine for awhile so none have the side focus.2 are with the mil dot that has the 1/2 mil dot don't know why they quit putting the 1/2 mil in them but I sure liked them.
I set up a muzzleloader with one that is on at 100 with cross hairs,1/2 mil dot at 200 and full mil dot at 300.
Set up one on a 7/08 this past tuesday,it was on with cross hair at 100,1/2 mil dot was 1 inch high at 200 and right on at 300 with mil dot.Going to try it again this comeing week to make sure it still does the same.
I think they are a very good scope,only thing is that the recticles are a tad bigger than they are in the monarch.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote