Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting for windage.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted
I have a new scope and I think I need to shim it for windage. It is shooting to the left and I can not adjust it further to the right. Looking through the scope towards end of barrel, can I shim front right and back left to allow for more windage?

When a scope is shooting left, do you turn windage to the right or to the left to adjust back to zero? If to the right, and there is an R and arrow, you turn in the direction of the arrow?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Harold

Just think of the R with the arrow as moving the bullet impact to the right. If you needed to move it left you would turn it in the opposite direction in which the arrow is pointing. Same with the elevation, it will have an H or a U meaning moving the bullet impact Higher or Up.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harold,
If you are using a rifle where you can make use of the Burris Signature Rings combined with the Redfield dovetail you should be able to get the windage set with your scope windage adjustments set on center with no shims. Shimming normal rings and mounts tend to bend the tube.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
The base is a Weaver one piece for a Savage 112FVSS. The rings came with the scope, I do not know what brand the rings are. So I guess I have no more adjustment to the right. I need to shim the rings to give me more adjustment.

So do I shim the front right and back left of the rings at the base. It appears that will move the front of the scope to the right and allow me more adjustment. As long as I shim front and back rings on opposite sides I should not put the tube in a bind?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote