New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope For a Marlin 45/70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Marlin 45/70 has an old M8 3 power, It works fine, but some of these new scopes would be much better, if they would just put a Duplex reticle with a illuminated dot in the middle.
Vortex Strike eagle 1x6 with an AR reticle. How hard would it be just to put a simple duplex with a red or green dot in the middle. Leupold has a few like this too. They are missing on a good seller i think. between Marlin and Henry there are lots of 45/70s out there...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Leupold M8 4x Compact retrofitted with a German #4 reticle and XS Lever Scout Mount on my GBL. Good contrast for quick target acquisition at close range in timber and in low light.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the same Marlin i have.
Your set up is good and i like the reticle fine, But i want a illuminated dot in the middle, and want a variable that comes as close to true 1 power as possible.
1 power is great for shooting 2 eyes open and very fast your eyes take a second or 2 to adjust to even 3 power magnification.
I want the dot in the middle cause i want to hunt black bear with mine. ...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Also had a Leupold VX-2 1-4x20mm on my GBL. Another good choice.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4sixteen:
Leupold M8 4x Compact retrofitted with a German #4 reticle and XS Lever Scout Mount on my GBL. Good contrast for quick target acquisition at close range in timber and in low light.

In the event you go hunting mountain lions, for heaven's sake take off the scope caps Wink

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
6 in the tube, 1 in the spout, and scope caps flipped up. tu2

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
And yet I think you know what I'm referring to. As with battery turrets on the ocular, I think it is a mistake to have anything blocking your view when hunting DG, including unnecessary tunnel vision caused by a scope-cover housing.

IMHO no amount of lens protection compensates for death by misadventure.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
And yet I think you know what I'm referring to. As with battery turrets on the ocular, I think it is a mistake to have anything blocking your view when hunting DG, including unnecessary tunnel vision caused by a scope-cover housing.

IMHO no amount of lens protection compensates for death by misadventure.

Good reason to keep both eyes open, then it's not a problem.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I put a Leupold VXHog on my 1895GG. 1-4x20

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote