New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold 4x28mm Long Tube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can any one tell me approximately, when were they last produced. Is the optics in par with the newer M8 models. It's for a long action. Trying to make up for long LOP.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like Leupold switched over from the long tube to a shorter tube (and there were at least two different shorter tube M8-4x scopes) sometime in the 1980's, but I can't say for sure exactly when it was.

Just last night I had two Leupold M8-4's, one short (~33mm objective) and one long (28mm objective), which I tried mounting on a recently acquired rimfire. The long allowed the objective bell to extend beyond the open sight on the barrel and thus mount with the best eye position (for me). However, there was no real difference in the quality of the sight picture between the scopes.

The long, even with its slightly smaller objective lens, still provides a 7mm exit pupil, which is the maximum your eye can use, so the 33mm lens provides no benefit in that regard. The larger lens does allow a tiny bit more latitude in eye placement, but the long-tube with its smaller lens is still very generous in this regard compared to most scopes.

As far as comparing the optics of the older M8, I safely say that its optics will provide all of the resolution and brightness that a four power scope is capable of. Being a used scope it is possible that someone has failed to care for or abused the exposed lenses, thus impacting the quality of the sight picture, but even if this is the case Leupold will make it right.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold changed the 4 power from 28mm to 33mm at the start of the 1990 model so 1989 and earlier scopes were the 28mm objective diameter. More importantly however to the heart of your question is that concurrent with the new scope, the 1" tube mounting span was shortened by approx. 5/8". These older scopes then could be positioned rearward by this 5/8" and thus "fit" better on long action rifles. The turrets on the earlier scopes were positioned so there wasn't much of an issue in their contacting the rear ring.

Two observations that I've made over the years that you might find interesting are 1) The eye relief on these earlier 4's seems to be a little longer (helping further with positioning) and 2) from a practical use viewpoint I can't find any brightness difference at all in actual field use which supports Stonecreek's observations. Best of luck...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you. I appreciate your input.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Mr. Edward Lundberg today, what a true gentleman and a wealth of knowledge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 4x28, 4x33 and the compact, Ive used some of these scopes for at least 40 years, Ive hunted the world, used all my guns hard indeed, and these scopes are as good as any high dollar scope on the market IMO..Leupold has the worlds best guarantee, and even the older scopes are guaranteed no questions asked and it makes no difference how many times they have changed hands..I will never understand why anyone needs a scope that cost 3 or 4 times the cost of his rifle from a hunting rifle standpoint..Its one of the world most successful rip offs and those big expensive scopes are an extension of ones ego, mine is bigger than yours scenario.. Wink

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, love your input. Thank you. I picked up a couple of the 4x28mm long tubes. There is a slight variation in their length, but still very workable and can install on any rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 2.5X Leupold is fine for any hunting use, and a scope isn't for locating or judging animals, they make binocs for that..Thats where I would spend my money, quality binocs are a first must, to locate and judge animals, shooting consists of putting the X on the target and a good trigger pull, that's it, the rest is hoopla.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote