New
Find
Notify
Tools

sako bases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Like the Weaver bases 65 and 67 for Sako dovetails. Position the rear ring a little further forward and allow use of Weaver style rings. What I am trying to find is steel versions rather than the aluminium Weavers.

Burris and Redfield make steel versions but these are for the turn in mounts.

Any suggestions re other manufacturers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Warne for a while on my Sako 75 and 85, but now am going to Talley QD. The Talley has a screw that bears on the knurling on top of the receiver dovetails, and the marks they leave offend some people but I find they stand up to recoil best.

Posts: 79 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Weaver base system for the Sako tapered dovetail is absolutely the worst mount ever conceived for Sakos. It is ugly and it stands excessivly tall above the bore, making appropriately low scope mounting impossible. I have happily and satisfactorily used the original Sakos, Redfields, Leupolds, and Milletts on Sakos up to .375 H&H Ackely Improved. If I buy a Sako with Weaver bases on it, I simply toss them in the trash.

If you want to use a Weaver-type cross-lock ring, try the Millett Angle-loc with the little Sako adapter bases and the extended Sako claws. I used this mount on a .338 on a trip to Africa and although it received some abuse, it performed flawlessly. Millet only sells this one packaged with the "medium" height mounts. For any scope of 40mm objective or less, trade the rings for the Millett "low" height.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about the Weaver bases but I am using a 56mm scope so the height issue doesn't come in to it. What I am trying to do is use Burris Signature rings, preferably the Z or Weaver style which I have on hand. Also have their turn in ones so could use Burris bases if I have to.

Couldn't find any reference to Redfield rings that fit directly though they seem to have a similar turn in base like Burris.

Looked at the Millett. Don't get the concept from the few pictures I could find. What's that loose "base" bit do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With the Millett Angle-loc adaptor for the Sako dovetail the little base shims simply sit underneath the rings and take up the right amount of space. The claws on the rings that fit a Weaver-type base are replaced with a slightly longer claw that fits the Sako dovetail groove properly. I have these on two or three Sakos and am quite happy with them.

Incidentally, both little shims have a lip or lug that catches the rear of the Sako receiver dovetail. This makes it impossible for the rings to scoot forward due to recoil. I've never had any problem with properly installed Sako mounts of any make scooting, but the retainer lugs make these fail-safe in that regard.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote