New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski scope problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a new one to me. I have 2 AHR (cz550) rifles that each had 2 Leupold scopes that shot fine no problems. One had 2 1.75-6 vxIIIs the other 2 vxII 3-9 scopes, all 4 in Talley quick detach.

So things are going great right? Well I decide to waste some money before the government got it all. I got 2 Swarovski 1.7-10 x 42, 30 mm scopes. I bought talley QD rings and put one on each. Well at 50 yards they both shoot low and have no more height adjustment left. One is 9 inches low and the other is 6 inches low. After trying Warne rings and switching out various Talleys, I made no progress. I'm sending both Swarovskis back to have them checked.

I just never thought I had any real chance of a problem with Swarovskis. Anyone ever seen this before?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem finally determined it was how I had installed the talley rings on the CZ. The front ring should be placed on the middle of the integral base, not all the way forward. If you have the rings all the way forward or had previously had them all the way forward a "burr" can form on the bottom of the ring that will cause the front ring to set high on the base, which will not leave enough adjustment to get on target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would that few millimeters difference raise the front of the scope enough to raise point of impact at 50 yards more than 12 inches?

I would love this to work. How low was yours hitting before before sliding the rings back that little bit?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No burrs or abnormalities. Dang it anyway.

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Does those Swarovski scopes have a Ballistic Turrent???

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check your leupold scopes and see how much adjustment you have left in them when they were on the AHR's. With my AHR 404 Jeffery I am using most of the vertical, so it could be that there is just not enough adjustment in the Swarovski. Not sure why this is but a quick call to Wayne may help.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...551044471#4551044471

All you need is a tiny shim under the REAR base.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
I had a Swaro scope that I had similar trouble with on a cz rifle where i also ran out of verticle adjustment with warne Qd mounts, I switched to talley's and had no trouble with getting the scope zeroed in.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Get thee to a competent gunsmith! Whatever mounts you use the reticle needs to be very close to the optical centre of the scope when sighted in, for aesthetic and/or optical reasons.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have now run into the same problem twice with some of the newer Remington actions. Seems that they may have changed some of the heights on the rear section of the receiver and didn't tell anyone. Good news was that Talley was more than willing to custom mill a rear base so that I could work it out. They didn't know about it either.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote