Notify
Tools

Scope moving in rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
After shooting yesterday I noticed that my scope was moving in the rings

These are Talley permanent mount bases and rings that were torqued down to 20#. I marked the rings with a silver magic marker and increased the torque to 30# (about all I will be able to get without stripping out the torx screw heads)

My question is: if they continue to move, what is a solution that you have used to solve the problem?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On heavier recoiling calibers, I normally put "liquid gasket" material (I forget the exact brand, but I can check) on the inside of the rings. The gasket material adds quite a bit of hold to the ring/scope combination, and it comes right off (with a bit of rubbing alcohol, say) if you decide to re-mount the scope on another rifle. I also tend to lap my rings.

Other people use stuff like rosin or tape inside the rings. There are probably a zillion ways of stopping ring slippage, it is more a matter of finding one that suits you.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Zeiss 'scope in Paris, still with its Steyr rings. The owner had had the same problem as yourself. He had used...Araldite.

My advice? Change your rings.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense intended but did you install them per the instructions or did you just install them? I ask because Talley's are tightened in a different sequence than other rings, and the fixed differently than the QD. Properly installed I have never had a problem from Talleys. If you intalled them correctly and they have still failed, call and talk to Dave or Gary and they will fix it. Great guys, those two.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have 3 other scopes in Talleys that have not moved. This one happens to be on a 338 RUM that I have delayed the recoil on with a muzzle brake

and I have 2 recoils suppressors in the stock

It kicks less than my lightweight 30-06. The scope is a Kahles MultiZero and has not lost zero even when moving. My last 2 shots at 300 yards were still on (just a little high, too warm a little extra velocity)

The gun still pushes as hard as you would expect, just delayed.

The Talleys are tight!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider a set of Burris Signature Zee Rings with the plastic inserts. They are the only rings I use. They have great holding power, won't ever scratch or mar a scope tube, and you never have to lap rings again. They come in all heights, finishes, in both blue and silver. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote