THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3x9x40 vs 4x12x40 scope. Looking for input.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious of everyones thoughts on hunting scopes mainly speaking of the 3x9x40 vs 4x12x40. Make of scope doesnt matter, I am interested in the power range and if the 4x12 is worth the extra $$.
My scopes are on Hunting rifles of different calibers. Hunting in the West, mainly open area with occasionally timber bustin. Average shooting range is 100 to 300 yards. Deer, Elk, Antelope, coyotes and varmits.

Lets hear it.

..."its not a collection if you only have one"....

Posts: 102 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with what you're hunting i'd go for the 4-12

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the exception of small varmints like ground squirrels or prairie dogs, you are as well off, or slightly better off, with a 3-9 as compared to a 4-12. You have a wider field of view with the 3-9 when hunting in tight quarters like thick timber where a quick, close shot may be called for; and you have more than enough magnifiction at 9x for any game animal as far away as it is reasonable to shoot at it.

The 12x magnification is only advantageous for small and distant targets; besides, it is best to have a dedicated smaller caliber rifle for those and reserve your deer and elk gun for the bigger stuff.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
If going with something in 12x, I would opt for something with parallax adjustment. Things tend to get blurry quick past 10x. I usually opt for 3-9's for an all around scope.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
4-12 AO.

Sighting in @ 100yds, the 12x vs 9x is
helpful with a 1" target.

Unless shooting point blank, you will never
notice the wider field of view advantage
of 3x vs 4x.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
The 3-9 or 3.5-10x is all that is needed for the type of hunting you describe. The non-western hunters have no idea what they are talking about. Our open spaces on our medium to large game don't require more magnification. You would simply be adding length and weight to no purpose. Nobody hunts big game as a 1" target. Just more $$.

40 years of western hunting for mule deer & elk as well as international hunting that includes 16 safaris in 9 sub-Saharan countries all done with 3-9x50 Leupolds on .300wm rifles. Everything from Duiker & goats to Red Deer & Eland at ranges from 50 yards out to 400+ yards without any need for more magnification.

I do have higher mag scopes on varmint rifles, of course.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
The non-western hunters have no idea what they are talking about

Nothing opinionated about THAT statement!! I came from
a little further "west" than where I'm at, now. NOT
Iowa! Hunted everything from prairie dogs to mulies
with the same rifle & scope.

"Nobody hunts big game as a 1" target."

You do if forced to the "one shot one kill" mode. It
then becomes much more intelligent than not. My ML
averages MOA, or I find the load that does. A mental
1" spot is placed on the deer and most are DRT, none
make it over 50yds. The scope is 5-15xAO and shots
have ranged from 50-200yds. It is VERY important
to KNOW the scope, rifle and you are up to the task,
and the ability to get MOA groups even at the range
cannot be under-valued.

I reiterate, 4-12AO

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
I like up to 10x in a variable. 12X+ is nice sometimes, but mostly if you set your rifle up with a bipod (which I don't)...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my shooting is at the range and I like variables that will turn up!

Don't fall for the fixed 6X fetish either.

If your comfortable with 4.5X up close( and I am) then try a 4.5-14X. One with a parallax adjustment is even better for precision shooting.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbofus:
Just curious of everyones thoughts on hunting scopes mainly speaking of the 3x9x40 vs 4x12x40. Make of scope doesnt matter, I am interested in the power range and if the 4x12 is worth the extra $$.
My scopes are on Hunting rifles of different calibers. Hunting in the West, mainly open area with occasionally timber bustin. Average shooting range is 100 to 300 yards. Deer, Elk, Antelope, coyotes and varmits.

Lets hear it.

bofus,

Even with ranges out to 350 yards, I've not had use for more than 8X power for any US BG hunting.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's too far for 9x, it's too far for anything you can hold with your shoulder.
A 3x9 with good glass is hard to beat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending upon one's own eyesight its not that easy at long range to tell one animal from another.

What I am saying is that one may be buck hunting and at 400 yds the ability of the scope to resolve the image for you is limited by its magnification.

On this vein I recently purchased dual power binoculars to tell "What is it." at longer ranges and I prefer variable riflescopes these days with more high magnification ability.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
Depending upon one's own eyesight its not that easy at long range to tell one animal from another.

What I am saying is that one may be buck hunting and at 400 yds the ability of the scope to resolve the image for you is limited by its magnification.
Point well taken. However, riflescopes are NOT to be used as a spotting scope or as a substitute for good binoculars. Your riflescope is a sighting instrument only. Any visual information you need about your target other than to be able to identify the location of its vitals is properly acquired with your binocular or spotting scope. Pointing a loaded rifle at something before you determine it is something it is proper to shoot violates all of the common sense rules of hunting and shooting.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I was a member of the More Power group in optics. I currently own 4.5-14x's 4-12x's, and 3.5-10x's. These are left on rifles that will be used for very long range.
My most common scope and used on most of my rifles is a 2.5-8x. Why? I can use the lower power on the unexpected close shots (scope is always on lowest power), and can turn the power up if needed for longer shots. Never felt under-powered.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manufacturers don't pull these designs out of their asses. 3x9's are out there in droves for a reason. It is apparently what people prefer.

Posts: 15934 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Years ago, I was a member of the More Power group in optics. I currently own 4.5-14x's 4-12x's, and 3.5-10x's. These are left on rifles that will be used for very long range.
My most common scope and used on most of my rifles is a 2.5-8x. Why? I can use the lower power on the unexpected close shots (scope is always on lowest power), and can turn the power up if needed for longer shots. Never felt under-powered.
I went to buy a car a while back and once I settled on the model I wanted I was faced with the choice of two engines: A raunchy, over-sized V-8 which would blow the doors off of anything on the road -- at the expense of an extra $2500 in price and 6 MPG in gasoline; or a peppy little V-6 which had plenty of zip to pass anything going at the speed limit or less in less time that it takes to flick your Bic. The V-8 would top out about 130 MPH, while the little six would probably only do 115.

Thirty years ago I might have foolishly chosen the V-8, which wouldn't get me anywhere I wanted to go any faster, and certainly not any safer. Today, being much more experienced and wiser, I took the V-6.

I've noted that people's scope choices are much the same. The younger, less experienced guys want their scopes more powerful and with objective lenses the size of pie plates. The older, more experienced guys want their scopes of managable size and appropriate magnification. I have a couple of 6-18's and 6.5x20's -- on VARMINT or TARGET rifles. My one experiment, about 20 years ago, with a 4-12X on a game rifle showed me immediately that I was much better off with a 3-9. Today, a 3.5-10 is the highest magnification I have on any game rifle, and if it were a 2.5-8 I'd be just as well off. And by the way, I hunt where shots at whitetails are often presented at 400+ yards.

And I just always have to laugh when I see a young Turk bouncing around in a 1-ton dually on his way to class at the local Junior College, having never had a load in the bed of that truck heavier than two cases of Old Milwaukee.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than my BR rifles with 45X, I use 3X9 or 2 1/2X8 scopes. I have typical 69year old eyes. I do the vast majority ov my hunting on 6X. I do have a personal limit of about 400yds.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:

Point well taken. However, riflescopes are NOT to be used as a spotting scope or as a substitute for good binoculars. Your riflescope is a sighting instrument only. Any visual information you need about your target other than to be able to identify the location of its vitals is properly acquired with your binocular or spotting scope. Pointing a loaded rifle at something before you determine it is something it is proper to shoot violates all of the common sense rules of hunting and shooting.

Your pompous.

Of course I will check out every animal I might shoot if its legal with my riflescope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
2.5x8 ,3x9.4x12. All have their place. It has already been mentioned that the 2.5x8 have a wider field of view for any work in bush.Others prefer a little more magnification than 8x for the open country work. I have always been very fond of the Bausch & Lomb 2.5x10 scopes. To me it provides the best of both worlds. This scope is still availible as the Bushnell Elite and several other manufacturers offer similar powered scopes. If your in the market at least look through one of the 2.5x10 scopes before you lay your money down.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote