Find
Notify
Tools

? Re: rf biinoculars vs separate rf and bino
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gr8ful Doug has leica 10x42 geovid on sale. They weigh 33 oz
Which is preferred in spot and stalk situations on moose, bear, elk, sheep etc.
Thanks-Cam

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always shied away from leica due to their schitty customer service and warranties. I've also shied away from RF/Bino combos because the RF will wear out before the binocular does, and you're left with only a decent binocular that is now too heavy, poor FOV, and zero resale. IMO of course.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the range finder binocular combo. You carry less stuff afield and you juggle less stuff. Makes a spot and stalk hunt easier in my opinion.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the Leica RF binos for about four years now. Two trips to Africa and local hunts here. They are holding up well, zero problems. Battery life is good too.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I carry separate units. My binocular is a Kahles 10x42 that is now about 14 years old. Optics are still great, and will be for another 14 years. I can't say that about the rangefinder I bought in 2004, which is now obsolete. In my mind, optics technology is pretty mature, with only incremental changes, whereas the technology behind rangefinder (and other) electronics, continues to improve more rapidly. In ten years, will you have a $2,500 dollar binocular saddled with an obsolete (or non-functional) electronics package?

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, electronic rangefinding technology seems to advance faster than optical technology, so I keep my binos and rangefinders as separate units.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand both sides of the discussion. I've had several previous models of Geovids and although I never had a problem I sold them off worried about RF failure.
Now days I do have a hand held leica rangefinder and some swaro SV's awesome tools no doubt..., but in most of my hunting I'll be carrying the now discontinued Geovid HD-R 10x42's to my eyes the glass is nearly equal to the swaros and I do like being able to range with the RF binos....I guess I'm ok with living in the moment a little more and not fussing over the latest rangefinder as these do all I need.

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got some Leica HD-B's from Doug a couple years ago. I have used them mostly prarie dog shooting, which they work awesome for but also took them to Africa last September. While I do agree that they are a bit more cumbersome than say Ultravid's, there is no way it would be as handy to have a separate rangefinder and bino's. The word of the day on safari was "Gale, give your bino's". I have of a video of shooting the Buffalo and my harness is flopping around because the PH has my bino's. Get the Hd-B's from Doug, you'll never regret it. I think am going to get a extra set for the Ph on my next safari. I have had zero problem's and excellent battery life. I would guess most people that have used the Leica's would tell you the same thing.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Typically, your guide or PH will have a rangefinder. So if you have 2 separate components, save the weight as you needn't bring your ragefinder. My PH in Africa has the Swaro combos, he made a point of saying how much easier it makes his job.

If you hunt alone, I prefer the combo. I've had the Leica and now the Swaro. Never had an issue with either. Gave my Leicas away as a tip. It's just one less thing to bring, one less thing to fumble with before you pick up your rifle.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Separate

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
An interesting conversation. I hate carrying heavy binos and agree that rangefinders are both delicate and evolving. However, carrying extra stuff, remembering to use it and the prevalence of skittish critters, says less is more.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
An interesting conversation. I hate carrying heavy binos and agree that rangefinders are both delicate and evolving. However, carrying extra stuff, remembering to use it and the prevalence of skittish critters, says less is more.

True. I have a nice small Vortex rangefinder in a FHF pouch on my Alaska Guide Creations bino chest rig. Pretty handy. I'm not really a long ranger shooter, so I find myself using the RF for planning stalks to get closer (that sheep is 856 yards away, we've got to get much closer), for goofing off (hey dude, guess how far that rock is), and for ranging after the shot (yep, we got pretty close, that sheep was only 276 yards after the stalk). I bet only 2-3% of the activations are in preparation for an actual shot.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to think like the majority of you, separate. But this year, I hunted in Masailand and the PH had a Swaro pair with rangefinder. I hardly bothered with my Leica rangefinder. He'd throw up the sticks and as I got on them I'd ask "How far?" A lot faster then me checking myself. Agree with all that's been said about technology, but it does save a lot of time and often, time is of the essence. And when hunting alone ...

Posts: 10132 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have handled some of the RF bino combos and found them very heavy. I mostly bow hunt and have had excellent exults with swaro 10x32EL and Leica 900 RF.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Leicas got stolen out of the unlocked PU in Twin Falls I think! They were 8x30s and the best Ive ever owned...I replace them with a new set of Nikons that are not nearly as good, but they'll do as I dont' need binocs these days, they are just something extra to pack around. For trophy hunting they are a must..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote