THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    My eyes are gettign old. What is your solution?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My eyes are gettign old. What is your solution?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I have ocular implants in both eyes and the last couple years it's been impossible to focus on the target 100% with any of my scopes at just 100 yards like I used to. My driving glasses help. But, the cross lines on my targets can't be seen anymore with any of my scopes. They range from straight 6X to variables up to 12X include Bushnell Elite 3200's, Leupold VX-3's, A Meopta Meopro and my latest Swarovski Z-3. Reticles are duplex or fine duplex.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5173 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try adjusting the eyepiece. Put a white cloth over the front lens in daylight and then turn the ring until the crosshairs come into focus. Just an idea.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1069 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
First, go to your ophthalmologist (try saying that on NYE) or optometrist and explain your need for sharp long sight. With luck he will prescribe/make some glasses that will get you out there, seeing the critters before you even lift the binos. After that you might find a peep sight good enough, or any old scope that can hold zero, adjusted as per Michael's instructions.

I realise proper eye care is not cheap - but it is important not to put the cart before the horse.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
MM The first thing I always do is focus the crosshairs.

SAM. Our eye care is premium.

Anyone see improvement with a larger objective or higher power range for aging eyes?

CB

Posts: 5173 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Use targets with thicker/darker cross lines. ? Confused

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
Try adjusting the eyepiece. Put a white cloth over the front lens in daylight and then turn the ring until the crosshairs come into focus. Just an idea.

Thanks for the tip!

Posts: 1078 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some folks I shoot bows with use a large circle reticle on their bow scopes and find it helps with this problem. They put the target centered in the large circle and have success. Not sure who makes a large circle reticle other than EOTech and the like, though.

HTH,
Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
custombolt, Yes indeed, and you would be surprised how often and how easily they come undone. :-)

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1069 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen, good food for thought.

You're absolutely on point Michael. I've caught myself forgetting the number one rule, focus the crosshairs.
Even the crosshairs are not 100% clear on any of my scopes anymore.

My glasses have photo-grey lenses which are a bit slow to adjust to light conditions and next trip to the optometrist I'm going to buy a pair with clear glass lenses. Glass seems to have better clarity than plastic.

CB

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
On the matter of focus, those euro-style eyepieces do make sense if you are out at first or last light, as our eyes change focus in poor light.

I hate winding knobs just as I'm about to shoot at game but those side-winders actually fix your picture focus as well as parallax, if you have time and remember to do it.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reticles are supposed to appear in focus in the same plane as the target.

So, since your eyes will be focusing at ranges in the infinity range of human focus, first go to your optometrist and get a good exam set for infinity if you can . Then using your new specs first focus your reticle while looking at something past infinity- like a cloudy sky- white background and black reticle principle.

Then set up a target at the most common range you shoot- focus your AO scope on that and you should, all things being within normal visual parameters, see both a clear reticle and a clear target, since both will be theoretically focused well past the infinity range of the human eye.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have old eyes, get'en old ain't for sissies!! I found I get by much better with the 3X and 4X fixed scopes, much much better...but then I always did like the better for big game hunting.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote