New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 6.5x55 gets a new scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't know how many of you are on the Natchez email list, but they are selling 4 high end Weavers at very good prices. Bought a 2-10 German #4 illuminate 2-10x50, 30mm tube with all the bells and whistles. On many rifles it will need high rings due to the large size of the power changing ring, but on the 03' medium Leupolds work fine. It is a heavy massive scope. Hefty, would remind you of S&B or Kahles but as the rifle is no pinweight, it really doesn't matter.
It replaces a 3.5-10x40 Vari-X III and tomorrow it's off to the range with the 140 Bergers.

Took me a long time to "photoshop" in the messy workshop, the magazines/book and especially the gold inlay of my initials in the engraved guard bow...(chuckle)

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LER - is that Larry Root?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I dug out the Sedgley, I realized that I had not shot it in 3 years. The rifle had been "Kroiled" when put away. Ran a bunch of patches through it, the last few with acetone. So it was clean but no rifle shoots clean with the same results as a fouled one. Dug around and found some rounds that had proved very accurate back in 2009. As anticipated it took a few shots to get "tuned in" (This is a c.1935 barrel, cut rifling and probably made by Winchester as were the vast majority of Sedgley barrels). Results were about as expected.

As for the scope it performed well. I would rate the optical quality equal to a Vari-X III. The adjustments were excellent and the Parallax adjustment worked very well to eliminate it.
(Who ever started calling these "focus knobs" ?)
Not the scope I would choose for a medium weight hunting rifle (the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 illuminated rules that niche) and certainly not for a superlight walk about rifle, where a lightweight fixed power makes more sense.

All in all an excellent value for under $300.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
good looking set up!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote