Find
Notify
Tools

Leica Magnus 1-6.3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone here use this on a DGR?
I have not found any really detailed reviews on this scope but the view through it, reticle and FOV are stunning. Durability is the question.

Posts: 82 | Location: DFW | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Holland&Holland and Rigby are selling these with their DGR rifles. Leica are good tough optics.

Posts: 984 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an unmounted one, with the L-4A reticle. I like it well enough that I am considering getting another with the L-Plex. Not an African hunter, but it seems to be built like a tank.

The L-4A, as most scopes these days, has a bit larger window than I care for. Individual likes differ. I really like the dot size, not too big and not too small. The dot and the reticle are prominent to me even in low light. I think the L-Plex might be better in the lowest light. Though with illumination it is not an issue.

The ocular illumination placement is not the sleekest looking. But, I must say that I really like its functions. Particularly the low level of intensity that it can be adjusted to.

I pretty much like everything about it, other than the price.
I am trying to decide which rifle to put it on, 375 or 416 Ruger or an AR.

I currently have Kahles 1.1-4's, Meopta R2 1-6, Swarovski non-illuminated 1-6's, Zeiss HT illuminated 1.1-4's, and Schmidt & Bender illuminated 1.1-4's.
Overall feature wise I like the Leica the best and have no issues with the others. Durability I cannot speak to, but suspect it shall be a tough scope.

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Looking at the pictures and specs, I see this and that I like and dislike.

It has an enormous FoV at 1x and reasonably long eye relief but these do not come without sacrifice, and that is a 46mm ocular housing, which may mean you'll need higher mounts to clear a bolt handle. On top of that is the battery housing, adding a square hill above what looks like a lot of tunnel vision in their photos. So, it may not be the shot for going into the thick stuff after a wounded leopard, in case that's not a no-brainer.

Its shortness is good but only if it works on your rifle - less sticking out the front means less chance of a bump moving it.

The company's cut-away picture of a bigger Magnus shows an erector tube extending well beyond the turrets, something I suspect is necessary in high-multiple variables, and I don't like it because of the added inertia under recoil. The company claims the scope is shockproof but, unlike other aspects, offers no further information on that. In their general spiel they mentioned the damage mounting on a 12-gauge shotgun could do to a scope, but claimed it didn't hurt theirs. While I'm surprised a shotgun would be such a problem, it interests me whenever scope makers admit recoil poses a danger - but I don't wonder why.

In ocular housing dimensions it reminds me of the Swarovski Z6 1-6x. The Swaro sacrificed some FoV for eye relief, though, something I'd prefer on a heavy kicker.

That said, Leica is a respectable optics maker and has been making scopes for about 50 years, it seems.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote