New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory scope mount on savage 99
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hope someone here can help me, a friend has a savage 99 that was his fathers and is now gone. It looks like the scope fits into a sleave in the frount of the scope (it has no bell) and the sleeve is fixed to the mount by two dovetailed fixtures. The rear is in a split ring verticaly and holds the scope itself. I did not measure it, but is looked to be a one inch tube on the scope. The scope is a weaver and no longer works. What he would like is a newer scope that would fit the factory mounts. Any one have an idea of what this mount is, or what scopes would work with this mount? I think the gun is early 50's and is in 300 savage. He dearly wants to hunt again with this gun and not alter the mount as now with his dad gone, it means a lot to him. Thanks in advance.

In North Dakota, winter sucks

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it look like this?
http://www.savage99.com/scopes.htm

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is it!!!! What are the choices for this setup useing a modern scope?

In North Dakota, winter sucks

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sav 99s are no longer made and very collectable.

The one family heirloom I have was already drilled and tappped.

The other two are old and may well get drilled and tapped by me in the standard way.

The two piece Weaver mounts available are Alluminum and kind of high.

The Redfield mounts are steel and low, but I hate the twist mounts.

I am thinking of making some one piece Weavers from steel or welding onto Redfileds.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote