Tools

Talley & other integral ring mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I am considering trying some of the Talley integral ring mounts, like these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...ton-700-matte-medium

However, I have never used aluminum rings (except on an AR-15)....and question their stability for a magnum caliber (this rifle is a 300 Win Mag). Do any of you have experience with these Talley rings? and/or can you recommend similar style rings/mounts that are made out of steel? I want "one piece" integral rings/mounts.

Many thanks.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used them on a custom 270 WSM with zero issues. It was a sheep rifle that I wanted to keep light as possible.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2647 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never used alum. talleys but i have others. Most wre very good, the elcheapos weren't

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If strength is the main concern, I would use the seperate base/ring Talley's. You still have screws going to the gun in any setup, and the Talley base to ring lockup is strong enough for anything. I had them on a 450 Dakota and my teeth would have loosened under recoil long before the scope. Any weight loss by going to aluminum is going to be negated by the concern and chance of failure or weakness, at least in my mind.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I put the aluminum set on my father-in-laws rifle. Never tried them before, wanted to see.

On all of my recent rifles. I have gone to steel Talley bases, with the larger screws, believe 8-36 instead of the 8-40.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I put the aluminum set on my father-in-laws rifle. Never tried them before, wanted to see.

On all of my recent rifles. I have gone to steel Talley bases, with the larger screws, believe 8-36 instead of the 8-40.

BTW, I think the EAW system is really nice, just 4x the price of a Talley setup isn't worth it.

Warne are good as well.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I've got lightweight Talleys on a 6 3/4 pound 338WM and have never had an issue with it holding zero....

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have them on a 300 Win mag and they work great. They angle in toward the center and give you a little extra latitude with short tubed scopes.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote