New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stiff zoom adjustment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm working on a friend's rifle with a Leu VX6 2-12 x 42 and find the zoom adjustment very, very stiff. I'm assuming this is due in part to the long zoom range and lack of mechanical advantage. That is, the ring has to move a lens more fore-and-aft than it would for a 3x or 4x zoom, but accomplish it with about the same degrees of rotation.

-Is this likely to loosen up a bit?
-Is there an accessory available to fit on the ring and provide more leverage?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same scope that had the same issue. I put a few drops of Tri-Flow lubricant around the seams of the zoom dial on both top and bottom. Worked like a champ and still does today, 2 years later.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, JG,
Is that petroleum based or synthetic?
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Synthetic. I think anything with PTFE or something similar would work well.

I used this stuff.....

http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Flow...ds=triflow+lubricant

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, JG. Being retired with way too much time on my hands........

Tri-Oil is petroleum based, PTFE (polytetrafluoraethylene) modified. Another name for PTFE is Teflon. Wicki has lots to say about it, half of which I understand. It does have a limited tendency to creep, but I doubt that will be a problem in this application. I didn't read anything that suggests that it would damage the seals.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
It might pay to take care as there is probably some other lubricant under there that might conflict with Tri-Flow.

I am cynical about all variables that have a collar for changing power (as against the old Zeiss/Hensoldt type where you twist the whole ocular housing). Under that collar there is probably a long slot to connect it with the power scroll - an excellent place for water to get it. I pulled one post-war scope to bits and found the only barrier was graphite grease.

I suspect you are correct in thinking the large zoom ratio may be something to do with the stiffness. The answer may be that there is no answer; that we need to think of variables as scopes where the power can be changed - but not too often.

If you think the collar is too stiff altogether, get your friend to send it back to Leupold and let them worry about it.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
If you want a better way to deal with the problem I make some throw levers for $15:

Anyone who is interested in a design I don't currently offer is more than welcome to send in their scope for prototyping, and they'll get a free lever in return. They've been really popular...much more so than I'd expect.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
It might pay to take care as there is probably some other lubricant under there that might conflict with Tri-Flow.

I am cynical about all variables that have a collar for changing power (as against the old Zeiss/Hensoldt type where you twist the whole ocular housing). Under that collar there is probably a long slot to connect it with the power scroll - an excellent place for water to get it. I pulled one post-war scope to bits and found the only barrier was graphite grease.

I suspect you are correct in thinking the large zoom ratio may be something to do with the stiffness. The answer may be that there is no answer; that we need to think of variables as scopes where the power can be changed - but not too often.

If you think the collar is too stiff altogether, get your friend to send it back to Leupold and let them worry about it.

Well, you can guess and hypothesize all you want to. What I can tell you is fact......I had the same problem as Brice over two years ago. I applied the Tri-Flow as posted earlier and have never had another problem. I've had the rifle in Africa twice, Sonora MX once, and on many mule deer hunts....zero issues. I personally do not like levers, levels, or any misc crap hanging off my hunting scopes.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:

Well, you can guess and hypothesize all you want to. What I can tell you is fact......I had the same problem as Brice over two years ago. I applied the Tri-Flow as posted earlier and have never had another problem. I've had the rifle in Africa twice, Sonora MX once, and on many mule deer hunts....zero issues. I personally do not like levers, levels, or any misc crap hanging off my hunting scopes.

I am not advocating the added lever, JG, (though I have no problem with the idea), just advising against the addition of lubricants that may in the long run conflict with sealants or O-rings already in there.

You have done a lot of hunting in two years but my horizon in scope reliability tends more towards decades. I had a Kahles 2.3-7 on my 338 magnum for 33 years; it worked fine until something ate a lens seal after 21 years, costing an expensive trip to Austria. So, may I suggest you keep your scope out of the rain, just in case the Tri-Flow has some effect you did not envisage?

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll keep an eye on it if it makes you feel better. Even by the miniscule chance it leaked Leupold will take care of it like they always do, but I highly doubt there will be any problems whatsoever. FWIW, I've been at it since 1971.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I found the same issue with a VX1 Leupold I had on a rifle, the power ring was so stiff to turn I had vague thoughts I would almost turn the scope in the rings. My son has it now and I have a Vortex, smooth power change and also advantage of quick focus, I do like these scopes.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
I found the same issue with a VX1 Leupold I had on a rifle, the power ring was so stiff to turn I had vague thoughts I would almost turn the scope in the rings. My son has it now and I have a Vortex, smooth power change and also advantage of quick focus, I do like these scopes.

Must be just a Leupold thing, then, as the VX-1 scopes have conventional 3x-multiples.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "at it", JG, but since '71 was the year I got married, so have I Smiler.

Though I did get my first scope five years earlier and began hunting in the late '50s, I used mainly tangent and aperture sights in the early days. And, since the German and Austrian scopes I preferred seemed to go on for ever, my knowledge of American ones is a bit patchy - but I have great respect for the old B&L 'Custom' models.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the VX6 adjustment is a bit stiff also. I can live with it on such a great scope but I did contact Leupold to ask about it. Here is the exchange with Customer Service:

Original Message:

I have a VX6 2-12 with a stiff power adjustment ring. Please recommend a lubricant to make it work easier. Thanks much.

Here is their response:

No sir, if lubricant is apply it will eventually makes its way into the internals of the scope and essentially ruin it. If the power selector is extremely tight and working back and forth 10-20 times does not loosen it up any, at that point we would need to see the scope in house for warranty/repair. I have included return information below.

If you need any further assistance please call our technical service department at (503) 526-1400 or (503) 646-9171.

Leupold Product Services
14400 NW Greenbrier Parkway
Beaverton, OR 97006

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As Basil's moose once said: "I speak English, I learnt it from a book."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously people can deal with this issue however they want to. I'll honestly let you guys know if mine start to "leak". Like I said, it's been 2 yrs now so my guess is that it won't.