New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope on a 458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just about completed a 458 lott project on a CZ 550 rifle.
I will most likely shoot the gun open sighted.
I have read that these 458 Lotts are very hard on scopes due to the speed of the recoil (i know that depends on the weight of the rifle).
Can anyone confirm these issues. Is there a scope that is considered best for this specific application?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
Same answer as above, but I did a search, here is one vote from a knowledgeable big bore person.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...?r=96610447#96610447

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Leupold 1.5-5X on my CZ 450 Dakota almost a year ago. I have fired over 600 rounds of full house loads thru the rifle, definition: 500gr bullets at 2370fps. The scope made it in Zim shooting buffalo with no problems.

Forever warranty!

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 EE
with 4 inches eye relief...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...e/z6i-1-6x24-ee.html

checak out evem this special offer:
http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...n-dortmund-2009.html

And for an open sight try this one:
http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...r-blaser-rifles.html

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter;
600 rounds is a pretty good endorsement!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are very hard on scopes. I understand D'Arcy Echols won't build a .458 Lott with anything other than a fixed magnification scope.
I've read of a couple of guys that have put hundreds of rds. through their Lotts with variables. It can happen. But D'Arcy says that isn't the norm.
From what I can gather, the toughest of the fixed magnification scopes are the 2.5X Ultralight Leupolds. After that, probably their old 3X or their 4X scopes.
If that were my rifle, I'd carry a backup scope ready to mount. I understand that the .458 Lott has the worst recoil pulse of the modern sporting rds. At least that's what Leupold found when they tested one of D'Arcy's. E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably has something to do with the gun as well.

My 458 Lott is an A-Square Hannibal which just aint so bad to shoot. It's a substiantial gun with probably a well designed stock. In contrast, my W70 264WM just isn't pleasant to shoot.

The Lott has a Leupold VX-7 1.5-4x variable scope. Killed three Cape Buffalo in TZ last October with it. I've shot the heck out of this gun with no issues to date.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
For the past 6 years I've had the Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x 30mm Illuminated Circle-Dot reticle on both a Winchester .416Rem and a Ruger RSM .458Lott that I mounted in the Leupold QR rings and mounts myself. I've fired hundreds of rounds through both and they have made numerous safaris to Zambia and Mozambique, taking DG. I've never had a problem or issue with either one of them.

Leupold service has always been excellent when needed. They re-built a 30 year old pair of binos for me at no charge and did it promptly.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x 30mm Illuminated Circle-Dot reticle

I have the same scope ( different reticle ) on my RSM Lott and had to send it back last year, it went all loose and rattly inside. Luepold fixed it and sent it back, it's doing fine so far.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently use a Burris Short Mag scope in 1 power on my CZ 550. Almost 200 inches of windage and elevation adjustment at 100 yards, 4-22 inches of eye relief, and 6 or so ounces. They stopped making them but you can still find them. I used a Leupold fixed 2.5 Ultralight until the reticle broke. I like the Burris, and can highly recommend one for a powerful largebore like a .458 Lott.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote