New
Find
Notify
Tools

steiner optics suck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just bought a pair of 8x30 predators and they look like they are almost...tinted. it almost hurts to look through them. it strains my eyes. is this normal? can i send them back to SWFA?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you buy them new or off the sample list?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, guess what? Steiner Predators ARE tinted. I don't care for glass that tries to recolor nature, but the Steiner product is hyped as improving contrast in order to make it easier to pick out game. Yeah, I know, and I don't buy the BS either.

Years ago I purchased something from SWFA that I was disappointed with and they nicely accepted it back in credit toward another product. You'll have to check with them on their policy.

By the way, many of the optical instruments, whether scopes, binoculars, or spotters that people remark on as being "brighter" than brand X or Y or whatever are actually no different in "brightness" (not really a precise optical term). What people are remarking on is the color shift of the instrument, which for some observers appears "brighter" than natural colors. Oh well, whatever sells. As for me, I prefer that the colors come out the ocular the same as they went in the objective. Many European manufacturers like Steiner (and others) like to do some color shifting.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yah I bought them off the sample list. Can I not send them back?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trashcanman:
yah I bought them off the sample list. Can I not send them back?

You'll have to call SWFA for the answer to that question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
forget SWFA. send them str8 back to NJ and they will replace them.
i have a new pair of prdator pro's that they replaced after the fogged the first rainy day of the season.
ill pick up another set of 8x30 militarys at the next SWAT comp.
and by pick up, I do mean pick up...

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Steiner won't replace them for doing what they are supposed to do.........call SWFA and tell them you didn't know what you were buying.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hows the overall condition of them.
i talked to my hunting buddy who is going to buy a pair of steiner 8x30's.
he was going to buy the military marines but may take your and you can start over with cash in hand.
PM me a shipped price to 29303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Steiner 8x42 (on closeout-cheap) a few years ago and was impressed at their clarity. I could read the signs on a hotel a mile from my office and I couldn't do it with my Zeiss 10x25's. I also have a pair of what they call the "Old Nighthunter" 8x56 that is nothing to write home about but it ain't bad.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as the Steiner line of binox goes, or many other lines for that matter, there are price points within each that give everyone a shot a buying a pair of binox. Some of Steiner's binox are less expensive, and don't equal the higher priced ones they sell, like the Peregrine, and the new Peregrine HD's. I have trouble damning all Steiner's as not up to par because some of their less expensive ones didn't turn out as well as they should have.
I had a pair of Steiner Rallye 7x50 for a short while, with emphasis on the word "short".. Big Grin
They just weren't worth writing how about, as Dr Duc said. Nothing wrong functionally with them, they just weren't any better than the Nikon 7x35's I had that only cost $150. So, I sold the Rallye's.
I do read very good words about the regular Peregrine binox Steiner makes, and will be anxious to see how the Peregrine HD's turn out.
And, there may be other Steiner models in their line-up that are good too, I just don't have any experience with them.

Don

posted Hide Post
I own 3 pairs of Steiner binoculars and my advice is to avoid ANY of their models that do NOT have the 30 year mil-spec warranty. I give credit where credit is due and Steiner DOES make some good products BUT they also make some very crappy ones as well. That being said though IMO there are still better binos for the money even when compared to Steiner's best. I have had to send 2 pairs of 8x30 Predators back for warranty for the SAME problem, this model along with various other similar 8x30 models ALL suffer from a flaw where the eyepiece has two VERY flimsy pastic tabs that contact the adjusting ring that focuses the eyepiece. These things are made so poorly and cheap and break VERY easily. Unscrew the rubber eyecup and remove the plastic adjusting ring and look at the plastic lense barrel and you will see what I mean. VERY poor quality for the price and unacceptable even at this price range. The 8x30 Military Marines are made like this as well as the 8x30 Safari and Navigator. Avoid them all like the plague. I also have a friend that bought a pair of 10x26 compact Predators which are also made poorly and after a few months has also had to send them back for warranty for a broken internal focusing mechanism. IMO if you are considering any Steiner non-milspec bino with only the 10 year warranty condsider Nikon or Bushnell instead. Also the Military Marine series sold in stores are NOT the same as the actual U.S. Military issue and are NOT mil-spec.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter7:
Also the Military Marine series sold in stores are NOT the same as the actual U.S. Military issue and are NOT mil-spec.

There seems to be a wide variety of quality coming from Steiner. How can one know which is a good one and which is not? Is the guarantee period the key?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned, generally the models that come with the 30 year warranty are rated mil-spec and are built a little better than the non-milspec 10 year warranty models. From what I have seen most of their lower end non-milspec binos are NOT nitrogen purged and they should be for the price they charge for them. There are many other brands that are nitrogen purged and have as good or better optics for less money. Also regarding their warranty, if a bino breaks or fails within the first year or so they will usually just replace it with a brand new model BUT if it breaks a few years later they are not likely to just replace it with a new one, nor are they likely to repair the bino you send in. They will just take an identical model out of their refurbished/recycle bin so to speak, and it may or may not be in as good of condition as the bino you sent in. You might send in a mint, like new condition bino in for warranty and they could end up sending you one back that looks like it's been through the ringer several times and that's exactly what happened to me. While they can give reasonably good service some times they tend to drop the ball quite often as well and they are not exactly my favorite company to deal with when it comes to warranty or repair issues. Like I said they DO make some good binos but personally I would never again touch any of their lower end models that do not come with the 30 year mil-spec warranty. This is my experience anyway so take it for what it's worth.