THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    LEICA RANGEMASTER 1200 CRF-Y RANGEFINDER,ANY OWNERS/USERS ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEICA RANGEMASTER 1200 CRF-Y RANGEFINDER,ANY OWNERS/USERS ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
LOOKING TO BUY ONE OF THESE MAYBE?SO FAR,ALL I READ SOUNDS GOOD?ANY OWNERS/USERS ON AR? THANKS!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
How far do you want to range and under what type of conditions?.........

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I have a lil Nikon 440 now and it works fine,but I want to step up..I am headed to Africa and Alaska in the next 5 months.All of my shots are under 100yds (I hope!),but when we are glassing,it would be nice to range out over 1/2 mile if need be....Do you have the Leica? (plus,I just ordered the Leica Spotter and binocs,so it would be a family of optics)!

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I have owned used and tested the Lieca 1200 side by side with the Swarovski and The Swaro is day and night better.My Lieca never ranged more than 1020 yards and only in good conditions.In the bright sun and Desert the Lieca would not give a reading past 600 yards,but on the same day under the same conditions the swaro would read to 1000 meter (1035Yards). The swaro on ocasions would give readings a little past 1900 yards and mnay many reading to 1800 yards plus........ thumb

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Swarovski and think it's the best out there,at longer ranges.You will not be dissapointed.Of course you pay a premium for the peformance.Their customer service is also unmatched in my IMHO.Great product and great service.What are you going after in Alaska and Africa?

Good Hunting

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I will check it out....I only hunt two things now a days,Buff in Africa(will take 4 more)4 bore double and 700 bolt.... and Bear in Alaska (trying to top my SCI record bear of 10-10")this time witha 50/110 BFR and/or my 500Jeffery lightweight custom rifle!

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I see they make 8x and 10x,which ones did so well?
quote:
Originally posted by Rsm458Lott:
I bought the Swarovski and think it's the best out there,at longer ranges.You will not be dissapointed.Of course you pay a premium for the peformance.Their customer service is also unmatched in my IMHO.Great product and great service.What are you going after in Alaska and Africa?

Good Hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swaro is the best.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I have the 8x Swaro and it works great. Didn't know it was available in 10x, but my guess would be the ranging capabilities would be the same.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the 8x I was't aware the made a 10x either.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have a Leica CRF 1200, an excellent piece of equipment. I also checked the the Swarovski, nice, but not even worth the extra bucks as I did not like the reticle. To make a few few folks choke, I use a Leupold for bowhunting, love the TBR feature.

If someone made a range finder that was twice the cost of the Swaro, it suddenly would become the "best". stir

Ranging over a mile? Really...... Confused

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Leica CRF 1200. It has 7x optics. I would think it would be hard to put the aiming reticle squarely on a target at long range with greater magnification without using some sort of steadying devise.

I took my CRF 1200 to Namibia for those long shots in the semi-desert but never used it. My PH carried Ziess 20x binos with image stabilization and rangefinder. I didn't bother carrying mine.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
I have a Leica CRF 1200, an excellent piece of equipment. I also checked the the Swarovski, nice, but not even worth the extra bucks as I did not like the reticle. To make a few few folks choke, I use a Leupold for bowhunting, love the TBR feature.

If someone made a range finder that was twice the cost of the Swaro, it suddenly would become the "best". stir

Since you have not used a Swarovski LFR then you comments about how far it will or will not range is meaningless.......... homer

- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you have not used a Swarovski LFR then you comments about how far it will or will not range is meaningless..........

While I have not "used" the Swarovski, I did a side by side comparison.

Over a mile????? My thoughts have not changed.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Since you have not used a Swarovski LFR then you comments about how far it will or will not range is meaningless..........

Niether have mine and I own one .....You are a an internet expert of BS or a troll troll........ bull

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Leica 1200 for close to a year.
I find it wery clear, rugged, and not at least, weather and waterproof.
For my use it is a very good investment.

Another thing I like is it´s userfriendly design with only one button to push.
It will give you the correct distance to your target, and that´s all I ask for

I have never used a Swaro, so I can not comment on that.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
I have used the Leica 1200 for close to a year.
I find it wery clear, rugged, and not at least, weather and waterproof.
For my use it is a very good investment.

Another thing I like is it´s userfriendly design with only one button to push.
It will give you the correct distance to your target, and that´s all I ask for

I have never used a Swaro, so I can not comment on that.

The Lieca is a very good unit I owned one for a year and a half along with the Swarovski. Depending on how far you want to range is the biggest difference betweent the two.The Swaro is a little better opticaly,but this is of no consiquence to me as I carry binoculars and only use the LRF to range with..... beer

- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
jwp475

quote:
You are a an internet expert of BS or a troll ........

I am not sure what provoked your attitude, sorry you were having a bad day. I would suggest you check my posts before you make a total fool of yourself.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about the above post

and the post below..

[Quote]

Jim "Bwana Umfundi" [Quote]

You are apparently calling my honesty into question......I am not a liar and do not appreciate being called one....... I spent many months with both LRF's and I still have the Swarovski......I know what it will do and what it has done since I purchased it 2 years ago ......... The next time I am through Redding,Ca. maybe you would like to see for yourself.....

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:

No

quote:

Really. I used mine to range from the top of an apartment bldg in NYC to an office building across the east river in NJ. The close side of the building ranged 1980 yds. The far side ranged 10 (2010). Google earth verified the geometry (the target building was at an angle) AND the range was correct.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are apparently calling my honesty into question......I am not a liar and do not appreciate being called one.....

Nope, never happen. You can believe anything you want.

quote:
Really. I used mine to range from the top of an apartment bldg in NYC to an office building across the east river in NJ. The close side of the building ranged 1980 yds. The far side ranged 10 (2010). Google earth verified the geometry (the target building was at an angle) AND the range was correct.

That is most impressive. For my use, I can't see where I would ever use something like that. When I did the side by side, I was ranging out to 1100± yds. As I said in the above post, I did not like the reticle, just personal.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You are apparently calling my honesty into question......I am not a liar and do not appreciate being called one.....

Nope, never happen. You can believe anything you want.

quote:

That is most impressive. For my use, I can't see where I would ever use something like that. When I did the side by side, I was ranging out to 1100± yds. As I said in the above post, I did not like the reticle, just personal.

Let's see what would make me think that?
Maybe it was this post...

If someone made a range finder that was twice the cost of the Swaro, it suddenly would become the "best".

Ranging over a mile? Really...... [quote]
------------------------------------------------

Or maybe it was this post........
Quote]by JBoutfishn:

Jim "Bwana Umfundi" [Quote]

------------------------------------------------

Pretty plain to most I believe.........

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is most impressive. For my use, I can't see where I would ever use something like that.

Me neither. Even with 8x those Jersey folks were TINY. rotflmo

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I've made a lot of use of my 1200 for several years now and love it. I use it for varmints, deer over open fields, deer in the woods with my crossbow and squirrel hunting using subsonic .22 rimfire. It's taken most of the guesswork out of shooting and my accuracy and confidence are much improved. I wouldn't hunt without it.
DL

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
jwp475

quote:

I am not sure what provoked your attitude, sorry you were having a bad day. I would suggest you check my posts before you make a total fool of yourself.

What EVER do you mean............

- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
jwp475

quote:

What EVER do you mean............

If you were to read my many posts I think you will find them to be positive, and on subject.

I did not mean to offend anyone, time to put this to bed. It adds nothing to this thread.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
LOOKING TO BUY ONE OF THESE MAYBE?SO FAR,ALL I READ SOUNDS GOOD?ANY OWNERS/USERS ON AR? THANKS!

Kid, if you haven't bought something yet, I would really recommend that you take a look at the Leica rangefinding Bino's. I have 'em all, the Leica 1200, the Swaro (8x) and the Leica BRF binos. I will be giving the swaro to a buddy, and the Leica is in my range kit for checking yardages on unfamiliar shooting ranges or makeshift ones. The Leica BRF are the zoot capri! I hunted with a gunsmith for antelope last year who is an afficianado of fine optics, and he was mad at me after trying my Leica rangefinding bino's, cause he said he had to have a pair immediately!

They are a little pricey, but so are the other pieces you are considering......

Good luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posted on LRH

SuperSeal110

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Michigan Re: Swaro range finder [Re: 270fan]
#157312 - 06/02/07 05:35 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

SWFA has them under there sample list for $750.

If you have a Gander Mnt by you, I believe if you sign up for there credit card you can get 10% off if you use the card. Just an idea.

You'll love the swaro. I have one and it ranges everything. Furthest reading I've got was 1,999yds on a white barn. Won't range any further then that.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat...age=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

Over One Mile Again Realy......... thumb

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Furthest reading I've got was 1,999yds on a white barn. Won't range any further then that.

I'll consider buying one when the PA game commission puts a season and bag limits on white barns. Until that time, my Leica will do just fine.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Furthest reading I've got was 1,999yds on a white barn. Won't range any further then that.

I'll consider buying one when the PA game commission puts a season and bag limits on white barns. Until that time, my Leica will do just fine.

May not want it, may not need it, but the fact is the Swaro will range farther under any and all conditions than will the Leica and that is the facts......... beer

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I bought the Leicas due to compact size and quality and so far,no regrets!Fast and easy to use and very clear..I looked at the Swarvoski and sure,its Great,but much larger....Thanks to All!

one of us
posted Hide Post
JWP, Are you always an asshole or was this just a special day.

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I think this discussion is ridiculous. Both the Leica & Swaro are excellent rangefinders. I've owned and used both and they're both top notch. I currently own the Swaro, but NOT because its any better for normal rangefinding. I'm a one-eyed old fart that wanted to carry only one optic, so I went to the Swaro for the 8X. In fact, I think I prefer the reticle in the Leica, but for dual purpose I went to the Swaro (No I cannot afford a Geovid!!!)

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have read that the newcon 2000 pro will outrange them both, for under 500 clams!!!