THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Might pick one of these up..Looks like a good scope..

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Might pick one of these up..Looks like a good scope..
 Login/Join

posted

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Vortex does realise there can be a problem with wear in dialling long shots with image-movement scopes - but the only scope I know they employ their hardened-steel bearing points in is the Razor 5-20x50.

Frankly, all this dialling long shots is folly in my opinion, esp. if hunting rather than assassinating game species. From a practical POV, I'd rather use stadia because you can't forget to wind them back and they don't constantly twist-stress your erector spring(s).

Posts: 5009 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
That scope is discontinued.They have a PST 2 now. Also it is a First Focal Plane?

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
It would appear you can have either FFP or SFP in a couple of powers. If you want it to really take punishment, get the one with the FFP reticle. Makers say their SFP scopes will never shift zero between powers, but they would say that, wouldn't they?

The problem is that when the reticle is in the rear, SFP, position, your view of the target comes through the erector tube first; if any slop ever develops in the power scroll, the target position can be moved as you change magnifications.

With the reticle in front of the erector tube the view of it will always be locked together with that of the target.

FFP also lends itself to range-finder reticles, without winding them to the absolute highest power every time.

The only place I would want SFP would be on a light-kicking .22 used for shooting small and distant targets.

Posts: 5009 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote