New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Scope for a Cooper .17 HMR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've just purchased a Cooper LVT in .17 HMR and need to scope it. The rifle will be used primarily for recreational target shooting and chuck hunting in PA, although it may get a trip west in the future for prairie dogs. I'm looking for something that will work well, look appropriate to the rifle and be of sufficient quality to allow me to make full use of the rifle's potential.

What would you suggest and why?

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Cooper LVT in 17 hmr. I had two different scopes on it. Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x 50mm and later a Nikon 6.5-20x 44mm Monarch. Both were were very nice on the rifle. The side focus on the Zeiss was handy. The Nikon actually was a bit better optically though. The current Monarchs offer side focus and 4:1 zoom range. So I would suggest one of the current Monarchs in either 5-20x or 6-24x.

For a bit less money, Weaver Grand Slam 6.5-20x and Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x are almost the optical equivalent of the Nikons. I have them on other rifles and either would be nice on the Cooper.

As for what will look nice, get one of the Nikons in Lustre. It isn't glossy, and it isn't matte. It is something of a near matte brushed finish. A classy look for such a beautiful rifle.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem 40X, I just got a Cooper 17 HMR, and I got a deal on a Sightron 3x9x44 and put it on there.
Pleasantly surprised. It is a good scope, certainly not as clear as some of my high end optics which cost 4x as much, but pretty darn good--not as easy to adjust (no fast focus ocular) but as it is intended for daylight ops,
I'll use it for a while.

Having said that, I have a Swaro 3x9x36 on my Cooper 204 ruger, and that scope is really great! It fits the rifle well, and that scope could find it's way onto the HMR, and the sightron on a Ruger 10/22 I don't have a scope on.
The 204's effective range being a bit further out there, I might want a little bigger objective and side focus perhaps......

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at these scopes--

www.rapidreticle.com

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post

But then, what do I know? (USO 3.2-17x44 Lit MOA ERGO .25/click MOA EREK knob)

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
40X.......Don't burden that nice little Cooper with a gigantic variable similar to what a 1000 yard shooter would put on his 30-338 mag. My Anschutz .17 Hummer wears an old, but sparkling clear, Redfield 2X7, with a dot reticle...And our new Savage 93 stainless heavy, sports a brand new Weaver Classic V22 2.5X7 silver, from our own Jon at The Optic Zone.
Both scopes spend most of their time at one of the lower settings, with an occasional dial-up for a long shot at a tiny target.
Unless you're planning to shoot flys off your 100 yard target frame, there is no way I would put up with the extra weight, non-existent field of view, very tall mounts, and general bulkiness of one of the giant scopes.......
Oh! And did I mention the huge outlay of cash?
Shooters nowadays overscope their guns.
Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Go down to the Bitterroot valley of Montana (Hamilton, MT) shooting squirrels with that rig on properties where farmers require rim fire rifles, and you will see the reason for that configuration with one shot kills at 150 to 175 yards.

dancing

--------------------

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In previous years we had been shooting ground squirrels in irrigated high desert alfalfa with 17HMR from 10 yards to 150 yards, but...then.. We went to Ft Belnap Indian reservation and shot prairie dogs last May. We drove 20 miles out onto the wet prairie and only got shots in excess of 200 yards. The guy I went with had a 17HMR and actually made kills at 250 yards, but there was so much windage and elevation involved that he borrowed the Indian guide's .223 Savage and I gave him .223 ammo. When we got back to Seattle, my friend bought a Rem700 .223.

What does it all mean?
If you took the smallest rodent you would ever want to shoot, and put is as far away as you would ever shoot with a 17HMR, you would not need more than 14X to have a big rodent image.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Range for PDs can be considerably larger, and more difficult to hit particularly when the other shooters are ranging by fire with ARs.

BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, etc.

I wouldn't allow them.

BTW my preference for PDs is the .260 with 100 grain sierra HPV bullet (MV=3270) for that I really prefer 6-30x58 variable as shown below.

--------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMCI,
Years ago you posted a pic of yourself shooting a 260 at rodents.

I liked the Varmint Master bench in the pic, and put one on top of my car.

So far, the .223 and 22LR are my success cartridges, but I have 17M2, 19B, and 6mmBR in range development.

I have yet to shoot my 260 yet.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Interesting observations.

That .260 shown above is the best rifle I own. Best performance was in 20 mph plus winds in Winner, SD a number of years ago. That rifle was hitting dogs in that wind with 100 gr SVHP at 3270 fps, when the AR dudes couldn't hit any thing. In a 17 pound rifle, recoil is similar to Rimfire, and I got lucky with 6-30x58 USO as it allows me to see eye color of dogs at 350 yards and count individual hairs on fur.

For squirrels (a much smaller and closer target), I now enjoy the .204 Ruger Custom in a 700REM very much. This rifle is the answer out to a maximum of 400 yards and eviserates sage rats.

I have recently added a customized Ruger 1B in .204, but have not had it in the field yet. Included are spring, Hicks device, and new trigger and hammer systems. Still working this one up.

I investigated the HM2, but find it a non-starter based on market reception of same. If you have .260, you don't need 6mm or vice-versa.

We shall see.

PS: I would suggest you investigate .204. 32grain bullet approaching 4000 fps MV. Personally do not recommened hunter weight barrel because of heating problems. Prefer #7 pattern (HVY VARMINT) barrel in stainless.

--------------------

One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I would opt for one of the following:

Nikon 4-16, 6.5-20.
Elite 4200 4-16 or 6-24.
Weaver GS 6.5-20
Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 EFR (for close focus w/AO

I think you will be happy with one of those.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote