Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

switching scopes between rifles
 Login/Join

posted
Do any of you have experience with using picatiny-style bases on multiple sporting rifles so that you can move a scope in-between different rifles, or even keep a back up scope in rings ready to mount?

This seems like a good idea to me, but was curious if anyne has practical experience with this arraingment. Any suggestions on which brands of bases work best?

I realize this doesn't look too traditional, but I'm more a function first person.

Thanks

that which doesn't kill me is only postponing the inevitable...

Posts: 24 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
You can use the same scope on as many rifles as you want. But you will have to zero the scope to each rifle, which may be problematic. You could, of course, prepare and keep a "book" on the scope with the corresponding zero setting for each rifle. But return to zero on different rifles can be a problem.

Personally, I have a scope for each rifle, and while I sometimes switch one out for another, each must be re-zeroed to the rifle it is on. Anything else seems unnecessarily difficult, IMO.

Semper Fi

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Badger pic bases. They make some great stuff. http://badgerordnance.com/

I have transferred my NF scope between rifles with pic bases. No problem, but as Lion Hunter says you will have to check zero. Once you zero them and document the settings, you can take it off and then put it back on and it will be close, but verify.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have added in my last post that I have a US Optics level that attaches to my pic base.

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/905825.htm

I put a small pencil mark on the scope tube next to one ring to get it back to the same location. Once I put the scope in the rings I lightly tighten the rings. I have a gun rest that holds it relatively solid then I level the rifle. I use a string or thin rope with a weight and hang it off a tree to align the reticle. My NF scope has a very thin reticle, so I don't need a heavy rope.

There is a problem with putting pencil marks on the scope tube. I couldn't find a way to wipe it off. I used a pencil type eraser with a white eraser on one end. That takes the pencil mark off, but slightly polishes the tube. That makes the matte black look a little glossy in that spot. You may want to consider that before using the pencil.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMC-1812:
Do any of you have experience with using picatiny-style bases on multiple sporting rifles so that you can move a scope in-between different rifles, or even keep a back up scope in rings ready to mount?

This seems like a good idea to me, but was curious if anyne has practical experience with this arraingment. Any suggestions on which brands of bases work best?

I realize this doesn't look too traditional, but I'm more a function first person.

Thanks

I just put a Burris Picatinny rails on my 308, I dont see the need to get the expensive Badger stuff, but its your money. I then mounted TPS TRS rings on top and I must say its a very nice setup with minimal dollars spent. Its the only rifle I have setup this way but if I did have another rifle with picatinny rails Id not be afraid to switch them back and forth, of course you might have to readjust a bit from rifle to rifle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=965194

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=666000

SEMPER FI

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am presently doing this with 3 remington's 700, 2 22-250 AI and a 220 swift. Using the LaRue pic rail and the leupold qrw med height rings on 2 nightforce scopes a 3-15 NXS with mil dot and a 5.5-22 NXS with NP-1rr reticle.

Was trying to find a rail this is about the same height off the receiver as the la-rue was off the remingtons for a couple of winchesters I have (laRue doesn't make a rail for the winchester which I did request from them but not interested I guess). The scopes have the up travel, but had an issue with my head postion on the stock. Still looking.

This is where the AR's are nice. Share a NXS scope (3-15 with NP-1RR) between 3 of them, 2RRA and a r-15. Using nightforce super high ring with this set up.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote