New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enough glass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this same question in the benchrest Forum. Doing it here to increase its exposure to knowledgeable answers...

Would a 12X scope be powerful enough to shoot at a five-inch target spot at 500 yards and have any hopes to hit it reliably? My gun shoots just under half-minute if I'm on the stick. Thanks.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
Easily.

Many shooters use a 10x for 1000 yards, so 12x at 500 certainly doable.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 4x - 14x 40mm Springfield on a .223 Rem 700 PSS and was shooting hen's eggs at 300 yds. off a bench. No problem seeing the target.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:

Would a 12X scope be powerful enough to shoot at a five-inch target spot at 500 yards and have any hopes to hit it reliably? My gun shoots just under half-minute if I'm on the stick. Thanks.

5 inches at 500 yards is 1 moa. 12X scope should resolve a little under .5 moa at 500 yards, so in theory this would be a good solution.
However, resolution may be a limiting factor. That is can you see the sharp out line of the target or just a blur. This is where the quality of your optic becomes critical. Also at this level the quality of the sight adjustment becomes important. Can you move the erector accurately with the knobs?

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only if you open your eyes Big Grin shocker

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope I want to use is the Burris Eliminator scope. The dope is it ranges the target, calculates the trajectory and illuminates the perfect holdover in the eyepiece. You pull the trigger and the bullet hits where it shows in the scope. What do y'all think about using this on a target rifle?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/laserscope.html

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
The scope I want to use is the Burris Eliminator scope. .... What do y'all think about using this on a target rifle?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/laserscope.html

Hmmm, honestly?

Nothing. The Eliminator is a nice thingy, but optics-wise not up to the task you would need it for - long-range shooting.

I'll go with DMCI and predict that resolution will be insufficient.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would rather dial it in myself. You will still have to dial in the wind. I think the moving dot would be more suited to a moving target, but then I worry about the quality of the lazer. It's only rated at 550 yards on a deer. That's about what my 1200 yard lazer is good for in the middle of the day. Often times when you lazer a target, you get no reading off the target itself, and have to laze the right right next to it, or something of that nature. So now your target dot works when you are not aiming at the target, but fritzed out when aiming at the actual target. It is not side focus, and does not have target knobs. IMO at this point in time, it's still too gimicky, and I'd invest my money in a proven solution.

If this was strictly a competion gun, I'd go with a competition scope. If I planned to also use it as my distance hunting rifle, I'd look at the VX-II 6-14x40 with an adjustable objective and target knobs, or something in their tactical line up with and advanced reticle.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on thingy. It has wow factor but does not replace personal knowledge of bullet trajectory and wind drift. The ability to judge these factors accurately in the field, etc...

Shooting paper only at 500 yards for fun I would opt for something else. Hunting at 500 yards, again I would opt. for something else.

What caliber? What rifle configuration?, OAL expectation?

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK; looks like it was a bad idea. Glad I did not spend the money and come away disappointed...