Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new Varmint rifle scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I have a heavy barreled 22/250 that has sported a Burris 4-12x40 for 15 years. Nothing wrong with the scope but I think I want to move up to a 6-24 or 6.5-20 variable scope, I want some more high end magnification. I use the gun for prairie dogs and coyotes mostly, but have shot deer and a few antelope with it although I may just stick to the varmints listed, I also punch quite a bit of paper with it but not competitive just for my own pleasure. I've been a big Leupold and Burris fan but I'm willing to listen to some other suggested quality scopes but it doesn't have to break the bank. I really enjoy getting good deals, meaning lots of quality for the money spent.
Any suggestions?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arkapigdiesel
posted Hide Post
You might think about the Simmons 44 Mag at Natchez Shooters Suuply. They are on closeout and are a good scope IMO, not Zeiss good but good none the less.

Posts: 91 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x is a super scope for the $$ -- and it won't cost as much as a Leupold. And, the new version of the Nikon BuckMasters 6-18x w/ side focus is another to consider.

And for some of the best prices on Nikons and other optics as well, check with Jon at www.theopticzone.com

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bobby. Take a look at the Nikon's. Great scopes for the money.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the Weaver Grand Slam, I have a couple and they are real nice for the money.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I have a heavy barreled 22/250 that has sported a Burris 4-12x40 for 15 years. Nothing wrong with the scope but I think I want to move up to a 6-24 or 6.5-20 variable scope, I want some more high end magnification. I use the gun for prairie dogs and coyotes mostly, but have shot deer and a few antelope with it although I may just stick to the varmints listed, I also punch quite a bit of paper with it but not competitive just for my own pleasure. I've been a big Leupold and Burris fan but I'm willing to listen to some other suggested quality scopes but it doesn't have to break the bank. I really enjoy getting good deals, meaning lots of quality for the money spent.
Any suggestions?

Spend $465 and get a Burris 6-24 Sig. Select. I love my "Signature" in the same power. Just fantastic optics. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The Nikon BMs 6-18 is a nice scope, I've been enjoying mine.

I wish it had the new Varminthunter's reticle that Leupold is placing in some of their lines now. They may even offer that reticle in the VX1 this year, I know they decided to offer it in a few more lines. That would be a inexpensive choice for a Leupy fan if you could get past the ridiculous tension adjustments.

Another good thing about the Nikon B<S is that the 6-18 comes w/ two sets of nice target turrets, one oversized and one that has caps. It also comes w/ a sunshade.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Burris 6-24 Signatures on everything I have (and love them all), save a Simmons Prohunter (darn good little scope) on my 243 and a 6.5-20x50 Simmons Whitetail Classic on my CZ-550 22-250. I bought the Whitetail Classic to put on my old 721 300 H&H as a beater and hated it on that gun. Because of the tube on the scope and the distance between the rings on the 721 there was no adjustment forward or backwards, even with extension rings. That same scope on the 22-250 however is a competely different story. Is it a cheap scope? You bet. I think I paid $100 for that thing at the gun show, but it's clear, gathers plenty of light for the 22-250 and has plenty of magnification. It has really turned out to be an exceptional scope on that gun. I just had to find a gun that it matched well. Plus, Simmons made a lifetime buyer out of me when they replaced a 15 year old 4-16x40 that was on the 300 H&H. Scope went bad, I sent it back, they replaced it with a brand new 6-18x40 Prohunter. No questions asked.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
In order of my preference, Nikon 6.5-20x Monarch, Weaver Grand Slam 6.5-20x, Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x.

I own all, they are all very close optically. With only tiniest differences putting them in the order I list them. The bargain is the Weaver, and if you think you want 24x there is the Bushnell. Also the Elite can be had in 8-32x though I think that is really a bit too much a bit too often.

I have had a Burris 6-24x Sig. And it doesn't fall behind these others. Well, maybe the Nikon just a little. But it is heavier and more expensive.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
used IOR valdada 6-24x with the MP8 reticle cheers

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the IOR. I have the 6-24 with the MP8 reticle and love it. It replaced a Burris Signature that was quite adequate, but this is a big step up. I have seen the 9-36 IOR, and it is awsome, if a bit extreme with the 35mm tube.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased an IOR Valdada 6x24x50 with the illuminated reticle. Even at the lowest setting, the glare from the reticle makes the target impossible to see. Does anyone else experienced this problem? Has anyone contacted IOR for a solution to this problem?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned Leupold yet. I've been using a Vari X-III 6.5-20 with complete satisfaction for quite a few years now.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wow this old thread is nearly 2 years old!
I ended up buying a Nikon Monarch Luster 5.5-16.5x44 that I found on clearance at Midway I think and I had a $20 off coupon too, they had the scopes marked down to $350 or something.
Nice scope, clear glass only downside is it seems to have a slightly constricted view compared to the Leupolds I'm used to.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking of trying the bushnell elite series since I heard they bought out bausch and are using their glass now. I have a friend that has just bought one and claims that it is great although I have not personally played with it to verify yet.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Here is a way of looking at the scope requirement for varmint hunting:

1. You need approximately 2X for every 100 yards you are shooting. This brings the resolution to twice that of the human eye for that maximum range.

When comparing scopes look for best possible resolution. If required use printed resolution chart for comparison. Good resolution helps to mitigate mirage and allows better target identification. I like to be able to see individual hairs on PD at 250 yards. Smiler

2. Don't worry about an extra large objective 40mm is sufficient for example. This is because most varmint hunting occurs in spring/summer in daylight hours. A large objective therefore can be a disadvantage.

3. Low end of the magnification should be no higher than your spotting scope or binos. So if you have a 7X binoculars, your scope should have low end the same.

4. A quality repeatable parallax system is important as small errors can result in misses on small targets at long range.

5. Long adjustment range for elevation and windage are desirable as are heavy duty rings and base.

6. As a rule of thumb you should spend at least as much on the scope as you do for your rifle (if not more.) For varmint shooting 3# should be max for good chrisp trigger pull. (I like 1#, but that is personal)

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tap_21,

you are close. Bushnell had been licensed by Bausch & Lomb for decades to use the name...it was their top end offering. The owners of the B&L trademark wanted a bigger licensing fee a couple years ago, so Bushnell said "bbbbbye-bye". B&L showed them I guess...nobody else was interested at any price and they did not have resources or backing to put the name on anyone else's line either.
The Elite 4200 Series scopes are as good as anything costing less than twice as much, and have a great warranty. I have an 8-32X on a 22-284 now, and wish they would do a 10-40X model. I also have two of the 6-24X's and an older B&L 36X BR scope that I bring out to test rifle accuracy.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Bushnell elite 4200, or Nikon Monarch gold. Good jap glass for the money.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look at a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 I just recived a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 and I am impressed enough that over time I will be selling of some leupolds for the Zeiss conquests in similar magnifications.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote