New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris Six X scopes anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any experience with the Burris SixX series of scopes? I am looking at a 2x12x40. Need input. Optik

Posts: 375 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, thats funny, I just started looking at these myself yesterday, never heard of them before that. I did read some reviews, all ver positive, except for several comments about the rubber covering on the adjustment ring isn't bonded to the ring and tends to "bunch up" if you aren't careful when turning it and uneven comments about Burris cs. There was also comments about the small cross marks on the "ballistic plex" reticle being hard to see against some backgrounds.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ehanks for the post/ anyone else have experience?

Posts: 375 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't have any experience with this scope but do have a Black Diamond. I like the FF II's and have never felt the need for more scope, they have become my favorites. I'm sure there are better but the FF II's get the job done for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with a fullfield 12 years ago and have one signature and one signature safari, looking to put this on a 375 rum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how are the FFII in low light, I am looking at a 4.5x14x42AO BDC, our deer here always appear just before 1st light or at late dusk.
Seems to be a good price with a spotting scope on the deal I am looking at, just concerned about CS.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention I am also looking at a Meopta 3x9x42 non AO non BDC about the same $ which is better?

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cutiger:
Forgot to mention I am also looking at a Meopta 3x9x42 non AO non BDC about the same $ which is better?

Meopta. WAAAAAY better glass!!! Glass etched reticle. Some say the Conquest line by Zeiss is made by Meopta. Don't know if thats true or not. Do know Meopta glass is every bit as good as a Conquest...

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cutiger:

I've got two Meoptas Meopros, they are great! They could easily charge twice for what you are getting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally had a chance to look through the Burris Six X, was not impressed! optik

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the Burris have nice clear optics. If this is what you value in a scope, buy one.

It will be a glorified Iron Sight.

Burris is possibly the worst mechanically functioning scope I have ever owned and seen. I would only recommend one to the guys I'm shooting against.

POS's....

rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Yes the Burris have nice clear optics. If this is what you value in a scope, buy one.

Burris is possibly the worst mechanically functioning scope I have ever owned and seen. I would only recommend one to the guys I'm shooting against.

POS's....

rotflmo

Wanna have a shootoff, Ill put my Burris scopes up against anything you have?

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have Burris, Leupold, S&B, NightForce, Swaro, Zeiss, Jena, Doctor, Valdada and a few others--

The upper line Burris scopes

are just GOOD STUFF-- period

rc must be out of touch--

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Gorski:
quote:

POS's....

rotflmo

Sure.

I've got 3 Burris scopes all with target knobs. I've checked the travel on an accurately marked board in MOA and Mils. They don't move what you dial them. I'm sure you've never done this as access to the proper equipment to do so is not easy to find.

And Burris knows this for a fact.

I've corresponded with them and so has my gunsmith about the problem. They can't fix them because they just can't

On one of my scopes if you dial 7 MOA, it moves the reticle 7.5 MOA.

On another if 7 MOA is dialed, the reticle only moves 6.5 MOA.

If you are trying to hit something way out yonder and are dialing the data for your load into the scope, this poses a real problem.

I'll be happy to shoot against anyone with equipment this poorly made and of such pitiful functioning.

P.S.

You'll never see anyone in the winner's circle at a precision rifle match or a sporting rifle match shooting a Burris scope.

The guys who win use quality scopes like US Optics, NightForce, Leupold, S&B, etc....

From the 2010 Steel Safari:
quote:
Scopes: Nightforce (28%), US Optics (25%), Schmidt & Bender (17%), followed by Leupold (14%), Vortex (6%), and 3% each for Hensoldt, Burris, Pentax, and Premier. Laser range-finders were dominated by Leica (50%), followed by Swarovski (19%), Zeiss (17%), Vector (8%), and 3% each Leupold and Newcon. Bipods were dominated by Harris (78%), followed by Atlas, AI, Caldwell, and Sinclair.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Gorski:
quote:

POS's....

rotflmo

Sure.

I've got 3 Burris scopes all with target knobs. I've checked the travel on an accurately marked board in MOA and Mils. They don't move what you dial them. I'm sure you've never done this as access to the proper equipment to do so is not easy to find.

And Burris knows this for a fact.

I've corresponded with them and so has my gunsmith about the problem. They can't fix them because they just can't

On one of my scopes if you dial 7 MOA, it moves the reticle 7.5 MOA.

On another if 7 MOA is dialed, the reticle only moves 6.5 MOA.

If you are trying to hit something way out yonder and are dialing the data for your load into the scope, this poses a real problem.

I'll be happy to shoot against anyone with equipment this poorly made and of such pitiful functioning.

P.S.

You'll never see anyone in the winner's circle at a precision rifle match or a sporting rifle match shooting a Burris scope.

The guys who win use quality scopes like US Optics, NightForce, Leupold, S&B, etc....

From the 2010 Steel Safari:
quote:
Scopes: Nightforce (28%), US Optics (25%), Schmidt & Bender (17%), followed by Leupold (14%), Vortex (6%), and 3% each for Hensoldt, Burris, Pentax, and Premier. Laser range-finders were dominated by Leica (50%), followed by Swarovski (19%), Zeiss (17%), Vector (8%), and 3% each Leupold and Newcon. Bipods were dominated by Harris (78%), followed by Atlas, AI, Caldwell, and Sinclair.

To be honest I cant recall if I ever tried shooting the square, maybe I did maybe I didnt, but I can try this weekend with my 700VS in 223, it has a 6-24 Signature with target knobs. Never had any "functioning" problems with any of my Burris scopes, they always move the POI the correct amount when asked to. As far as never seeing Burris in any winners circles I do believe Burris is or was the king of the Hunter BR class, and Im sure there's someone over at longrangehunting.com that uses a Burris scope for shooting way out yonder and does very well at it, too. But Ive been wrong before. popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said in my first post on the thread, if you use the scope kinda like an iron sight, you will most likely never see a problem and be satisfied with Burris.

Nice glass.

The problem exists (at least with every one I have and every one my gunsmith has evaluated) when you actually try to use the scope for what it is intended.

I just have the scopes on prarie dog rifles. They don't dial properly but you can get around the problem by shooting at all ranges and recording actual drop. When you put your load parameters into a ballistic program, the output will differ. You can then change the BC or velocity to try to get the output to match your actual.

After dialing up and down, the return to -0- is a problem too. I had to re -0- the scope several times in one session.

I sent all three back to Burris for repair with a detailed explanation if the problem both in writing and on the phone. They replaced all the guts and returned them.

They still don't work

Try the box test and use a big box so you can dial 8 or 10 MOA in all directions then return to your -0-

Hopefully yours is a good one Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I shall give it the ole college try. Which models did you send back & how old are they?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All three of mine were Signatures. A 6-24 and 2 8-32's. Older models.

I paid 80$ to have "target knobs" installed on the 6-24.

Look at what they put on

See anything funny there?

It's a bad picture taken with my phone, but what you are seeing is a full revolution on the elevation knob to 8 MOA. It is a 1/8 MOA click scope. Between every number are 8 clicks.

Works great if you only need to dial 8 MOA.

If you need to dial 9 MOA, the setting will not be on a whole number. Instead it will be at the big mark between 0 and 1 (1/2).

10 MOA will be at 1 1/2

How f'd up is that?

Talked to the lead tech after I received it back and he says it's a terrible design and he has talked to his superiors about it.

I told him I wanted the scopes replaced or my money back. After all I would hope they would sell products that do what they say they are supposed to. He talked to his superiors and they would not do either.

He told me to sell the scopes and he would give me a "good deal" on their tactical model that actually works.

animal