Find
Notify
Tools

Gloss Black finish scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Does anyone beside Leupold make a gloss black finished scope?

Looking to get a newly manufactured scope that looks retro or vintage for an old Sako I recently acquired.

I like the Leupolds, just seeing if there are other options. I'm not comfortable with getting a used steep tube scope - want something that is modern. I even considered refinishing one of my existing Weaver scope with Cerakote to make it look like blued steel.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH, that is a dilemma! For those that appreciate the deep bluing on some of the older classic rifles, matching scopes are getting hard to come by. Leupold seems to be responding with additional gloss models, but most other options are scopes that are quite dated. I've been picking up gloss Leupolds in unused condition for my older Weatherby, Sako, Mauser, and Remington BDL rifles.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Let me know what you decide on. I have a few rifles that are still wearing older Gloss Leupolds and more recently acquired rifles that are waiting on scopes (can't decide to just bite the Matte bullet or hold out for a gloss version used)

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make the Leica Visus in gloss finish, there is a significant price difference between them and the Leupolds though.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in a similar dilemma. I bought a Browning High Power Safari Grade .300 H&H Mag and wanted a fixed 6x scope in gloss to put on it. I ended up calling the Leupold Custom Shop and ordering a 6x36 in gloss. The person I spoke to said that it appears the gloss scopes are making a comeback based on the orders they are receiving now. I did find quite a few used gloss scopes on eBay.

Posts: 765 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted some good looking QD rings that didn't have bases that stuck out over the ejection port and finally decided to go with the Talley QD rings with levers

Posts: 765 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
The person I spoke to said that it appears the gloss scopes are making a comeback based on the orders they are receiving now. I did find quite a few used gloss scopes on eBay.

Like a lot of things in life - what's old is new again!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I got a VX-2 3-9x40

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
While I don't think gloss scopes make hunting any easier, I am a big fan of using actual old scopes that only came with gloss finishes or blued steel.

My Sako Finnbear 338WM now wears an old Nickel (Marburg) 1.5-6x variable with rail in Blaser dovetails over Optilock bases. It is shiny enough but I love its field blending and mechanical integrity.

The shiniest alloy scopes I've got are old S&B reticle-movement scopes, though I prefer the optics in some other German brands of the same vintage.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I believe that Burris does/did offer gloss scopes as does/did Pentax in their Lightseeker series.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the new Weavers have the old finish, at least the one that Ive owned did..I was testing the scope, and I was surprised at the quality for the price, and I pretty much tried to trash it..The same for the 2x7 Redfield now made and distributed by Leupold. I found it to be an outstanding scope for the hunter, but may not come in gloss..The 4X Leupold would be my pick for such, but depending on caliber.

These new Weavers will serve you well indeed on a hunting rifle, unless you happened to be one of the many that's et up with tech, or buy high dollar for no other reason than it must be the best!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote