Find
Notify
Tools

Talley QD Rings.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted
I'll be mounting a scope shortly to a Weatherby 338-378 and was wondering if there are any disadvantages to the QD rings from Talley...

They're reputation is excellent but I find word of mouth (or internet forum) a better information tool...

For that matter I'd like to hear anything about mounts and rings in general.. Spending enough on the rifle that I want to put together an excellent overall package....

Your thoughts guys...

By the way, I will probably be mounting either a Zeiss 3 - 9 x 40 or a Leupold VX III 3.5 - 10 x 40....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
They work very well on my CZ in 416 Rigby. I have found them sturdy solid.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tallys are a bit hard to set up, but once in place and snug they hold the scope well.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Talley QDs on my CZ 550 in .375 and they work great. Highly recommend them.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have over 20 centerfire rifles, and they mostly wear Talleys, the ones that don't are headed that way. About 12 of them have the Talley QD's, some the screw lock, some the levers, the work consistenlty, and return to zero flawlessly for me. If you follow their directions, setup is pretty straightforward, although indeed perhaps not as simple as a ring where your scope can just sit ther until you screw down the top, but to me there is very little difference in setup, but a great quality product in QD setup when their mounted. If you'll only have a set or two, consider buying the one's with 8x40 screws if you can tap your reciever thusly.

Good shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are a pain in the posterior to mount, that is for sure. Other than that, they have a great reputation.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heat:
I'll be mounting a scope shortly to a Weatherby 338-378 and was wondering if there are any disadvantages to the QD rings from Talley...

They're reputation is excellent but I find word of mouth (or internet forum) a better information tool...

For that matter I'd like to hear anything about mounts and rings in general.. Spending enough on the rifle that I want to put together an excellent overall package....

Your thoughts guys...

By the way, I will probably be mounting either a Zeiss 3 - 9 x 40 or a Leupold VX III 3.5 - 10 x 40....

Ken....

I've tried most of the different mounting systems commonly available and now use Talley's on just about everything but Sako's. They are an excellent product made by good people that back them up...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a Talley steel mount fan. I have both the QD and the fixed versions. They block iron sights from too high bases, mar scopes from their rings and cost a lot too.

I do have a set of the new Talley aluminum mounts in service now because I could not get Weaver bases for my 8400. They are good mounts and light as well but not for a DGR rifle.

If you do have to use the Talley steel mounts open each ring a little before you first try them on your scope tube and then they won't mar it as much.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
I really liked my Talleys that I had on a Sako .300 Win mag.

I didn't notice that they beat my scope up with ring marks bad at all, that the previous poster mentioned.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99 is absolutly correct about Talley's leaving ring marks. They will almost always leave a white pinch line at the top of the scope. So maybe if you switch scopes around in different rings you might not prefer them. But I think most folks won't notice since they mount a scope and leave it there.
If you want the strongest, best made QD scope rings that will return to zero consistantly, Talley's are it..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Well.... I'm a died in the wool Burris Zee Signature kinda guy but a Model 7 Custom KS Mountain Rifle I just bought came with the Talley ultra light ring/base combination so I used them... sofa

I'm sure they're marking the crap out of my scope but other than that they're light and seem to be very strong considering their weight. thumb

I guess there are other rings than Zee Signatures after all... stir

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Does everyone lap their scope rings?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote