New
Find
Notify
Tools

New binos: 12x or 16x?
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I've used 16x a lot in MT for antelope and mulies, and have never felt too handicapped by the narrowed FOV, but I'm thinking of going with a pair of 12x next time around... thoughts... TIA

one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62: I get kidded a lot for using 12 power binoculars (Nikon) by my Antelope and Deer Hunting partners! I have never tried anything more powerful for my Rocky Mountain and high plains pursuits on a day long type test or Hunt.
I find the 12 power binos allows me to do a lot of things my 7, 8 and 9 powers can't do and don't feel I am handicapped at all with the "big" 12 powers weight and bulk wise. I spend a lot of time glassing for bedded Mule Deer in the breaks and broken country. I can usually spot all the Deer in a draw with these binos before I travel in it and spook everything that moves out sure seems to have been seen and assessed by me prior.
Are you worried about the extra weight and bulk of the 16's? Or worried about the field of view maybe missing something as your scans are not covering all the terrain?
I seem to be doing well spotting and judging both Antelope and Deer with my 12x's.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I am leaning hard to the 12x, mostly because I can get then in a lighter package than the 16x. Perhaps the 12x Monarch...

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
My suggestion

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=1948

Notice the weight of only 21.3 ozs and Zeiss!!!

Buddy of mine just got a pair for $599.00. I've used 12x50's for years and like the extra power.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Nice glass, but perhaps a bit out of my price range. The 12x Monarch weights about the same, IIRC - roughly 21 oz...