New
Find
Notify
Tools

triangle post reticle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you guys think of this reticle? Was it hard to get used to?

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better for shorter distance shooting, as on a DGR. The post is quick to acquire, but using the point at the top for precise aiming at more than 75 yards would be a challenge. Kind of like a German #1 reticle.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Don't like it, I find that the triangle becomes distracting and not very precises.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first experience with a "Picket Post" reticle was with a Kahles ZF 69 6X scope in the late 1970's.

This reticle has become one of my favorites, whether sharp pointed or flat topped.

It does not seem to effect group size as over the years I have won many a smallest group in LEO Sniper Rifle Matches even with it in 6 power vs others shooting 10 to 16 power scopes.

It excells in high speed shooting and low light shooting.

I have killed antelope with it at @550 yards with the 6x, and with the flat topped version at 4X, javelina at 412 yards.

Both scopes did have a Ballistic Cam.

Recently I have done some load development work with a Trijicon scope with the picket post retoicle. Again it works great.

A couple of years ago I did a test, at night shooting, at 300 yards, in good moonlight. The Kahles 6x scope, vs a Night Force 3.5 to 15 scope with an illuminated reticle.

Both scopes were on good 308 rifles.
Usually an illuminated reticle would have a distinct advantage, but on this night with the Kahles 6x scope I could see the target good.

There was no difference in group size.

Once you get used to the "picket" it is very effective.

Very effective. I have killed a lot of "stuff" with it over the years.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Further data/info.

Once upon a time I was in a Sniper Rifle Match where you had a short limited time to make as many head shots at 400 yards as possible.
I was shooting a 308 with the Kahles 6X ZF69 scope with the Picket Post reticle.
The target came up, I was able to shoot 4 shots, before the target went down.

I had 4 hits. I was the only one to get 4 hits...

I have had no problem getting hits on mansized targets out to 1000 yards with the Picket Post reticle.

All I can say is I LIKE IT. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insights 450. I just bought one and I'm having a hard time warming up to it as it's so much different that X hairs or even a German 4 which is my preference.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote