New
Find
Notify
Tools

$45 Barska Variable Power Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Big 5 has them on sale. I don't need expensive glass here. Leupold on the guns, but for binoculars . . . I have some Nikon waterproof 8 X 42 I think, a cheapo set of 7 X 50 from Home Town Hardware, circa 1979.

Cheapo "compact" from China, sold in Bi-Mart for about $20 years ago. I think they're 7x

I had some Bushnell waterproof, 10 X 50 that got stolen out of my car when it was towed. Insurance settled on those.

Big 5, Barska 10 - 30x variable, 60mm, ruby coated, "armored" body. Not waterproof, but OK in light rain.

I just use binoculars for watching whales, birds, babes on the beach. They're stowed in the truck and I don't worry about them.

Barska seems to be making some "credible" stuff. Not high end for sure, but for $45 in a "working/utility" binocular, I think these are a good deal.

The tag on the box lists "retail $189." But I'm guessing they never sell for "retail."

30x binoculars need to be braced on bags or off a rail, hood of the truck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got out this morning in some daylight and used these Barska 10 - 30x 60mm looking at distant tree tops and the vehicles in the neighbor's drive on the other side of the valley.

They're not as "bright" as they should be at 60mm, but what's more disconcerting is that the pupilary image at the higher powers narrows way down and it's hard to get the combined two circles image to merge. They get very small. Double images result.

I returned them.

Big 5 is excellent with returns. Save the receipt and return the product with packaging, no questions.