Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I have a Winchester Model 70 in matte stainless steel.

I would like to mount a silver Leupold VX-3 on it in stainless Talley bases and rings.

Has anyone done or seen this set up? How do the colors match up? Any photos?

Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I can't say I've done this same setup but I have put a silver scope on a brushed stainless Ruger with brushed rings. It looks pretty good but the "silver" is not a direct match to the brushed stainless. Close but not an exact match.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the items you describe. The scope metal is much shinier. It sort of matches my ss Ruger. I wasn't happy with the appearance so I had both rifles NYlited and got matte finish scopes. Still don't match perfectly but more in tune with my taste. Don't know about Talley bases or rings though. I put the ss scope on a varmint rifle.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own three "white rifles".

While I actually have Nickel plated Leupold Rings on one of them I do not own, nor do I plan to own a "white" scope.

Frankly I think the "stainless finish" scopes are a "Solution"
to a problem that never exsisted.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Leupold has some scopes in "gun metal gray" that also might look good on a matte stainless rifle.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I would not go with a silver scope - have a look at my Remington 700 Titanium : in my eyes it looks georgeus...

http://www.titanium-gunworks.d.../titan-montagen.html

So all I have on it is a scope mount made from the highest grade Titanium... and one of the best optics... That matchs and kills pefect! Big Grin

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a matte finish Zeiss Conquest on my stainless Tikka. It is mounted with S&K stainless bases and S&K black matte rings. I really like the way it looks.Also, since S&K uses real stainless steel, not alum or alloy, the color and finish should be a better match for the gun and scope, if you go with the stainless scope.

Posts: 10 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gentlemen.

I realize that I won't get a perfect match, and that's okay. What I don't want is a glaring difference. The silver Leupolds do seem overly bright to me.

The silver Zeiss Conquests seem a bit darker and less shiny. Both the stainless Talley rings and bases and the Win. Model 70 stainless metal work are a matte finish. Not bright at all. The Zeiss color and finish might be a better match.

I saw that the Leupold custom shop offers both a smoke gray and gun metal gray. One of those might be better, but it's hard to judge without an in person examination.

Most black scopes are not a perfect match for the blued or black rifles on which they're mounted, but most people don't care - they're generally pretty close and that's good enough.

I think an exception would be a gloss scope on a matte rifle, or vice versa, which I think would look wrong.

I have nothing against two tone set ups, i.e., stainless and black, but I just think an all stainless (or more properly, silver or gray) set up could look pretty cool.

There's an outfit called Spradlin's that refinishes scopes. A third party refinish job will void most warranties, but Spradlin's say that they and their process are approved by Leupold for refinishing Leupold scopes.

Not sure what's the best course at this point.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one rifle so outfitted, and nothing matches; but it's close enough for me.
The rifle has a Hart bead blasted barrel, a brushed aluminum set of rings and mounts, and a Silver Leupold 3-9x on top.
I don't spend a lot of time looking at the differences in tone and shade.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MRLexma
The matt finish baked teflon (NYlite) is a very close match for the matt finish on Leupold scopes. Costs a little over $200 per rifle and looks great to me.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
@Andre:

I like the other scopes on your other guns mUCH more... Roll Eyes

Klaus

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I see what you mean, Klaus. I'm kind of eclectic when it comes to guns and may mix blue steel with inox, presentation grade walnut with synthetics or laminated wood, as long as it is accurate. Here I may become unrealistic in my demands as none of my many rifles shoots above 3 cm for 5 shots at 100 m, regardless of caliber. I know this level of accuracy is totally unnecessary for hunting but, it's all in the head... Roll Eyes

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
I see what you mean, Klaus. I'm kind of eclectic when it comes to guns and may mix blue steel with inox, presentation grade walnut with synthetics or laminated wood, as long as it is accurate. Here I may become unrealistic in my demands as none of my many rifles shoots above 3 cm for 5 shots at 100 m, regardless of caliber. I know this level of accuracy is totally unnecessary for hunting but, it's all in the head... Roll Eyes

I know that kind of problem - I have 20mm /5shot from my guns, just one is doing 25mm...

A tool is only that powerfull as the user is able to use it... Let´s keep our high exspectations...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here I thought I was the only accuracy loony around.... Big Grin
I have accuracy loony brothers... thumb

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, so what do you think? I think it looks pretty good, although, as we have discussed, the scope does seem to be a bit too shiny.

Not my rifle, but it's a Model 70 with stainless Talley rings and a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20mm in silver finish.

Mikelravy, I have thought about the baked on finishes, but I want to stick with the bare stainless.

And thanks, scubapro and André, for the photos. Those are some very nice rifles.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I might swap out my Leupold QRs for the Talleys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you take it to the beauty contest, it probably needs some bows......OTOH I've never seen an animal, dead or alive, that cared if the scope and rifle are color coordinated. You need to get out more. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You just think the scope is too small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I admit it. You are right, Gatogordo.

I have decided to go with this one instead. Wink

Mike

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Okay, I admit it. You are right, Gatogordo.

I have decided to go with this one instead. Wink

Are you getting a matching synthetic stock? clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring has sprung...... clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote