New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low power for 458 win mag.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could I have some suggestions for a good scope for my new project.
It's a 458 win mag on a savage action. I want low power preferably in the are of 1.5 or 2 power, good clarity, good light gathering, and not fall apart. This will be mostly for close in work in the brush.
Thanks.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Since I just bought a new Leupold VX-3 in 1.5-5x24mm, I'll suggest that you consider it.
It's got good glass, is light weight, and has a straight tube up front for easy mounting, and it has the great lifetime warranty from Leupold.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
BIG +1

quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Frank,

Since I just bought a new Leupold VX-3 in 1.5-5x24mm, I'll suggest that you consider it.
It's got good glass, is light weight, and has a straight tube up front for easy mounting, and it has the great lifetime warranty from Leupold.

Don

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's too bad that the "bigger is better" notion and the idea that every scope has to be a variable has left us with very few good, low-power fixed scopes.

The old Leupold M-8 3x (no longer made) was a great scope that is much in demand these days for the type of use you envision. If you can find one of those, it will serve you well.

Weaver made some great low-power scopes in its K-1 (no magnification), K-1.5, K-2.5, and K-3. If you can pick up one of those at a pawn shop or online auction, they are tough and serviceable. Even though Weaver's glass was not the very best, in a low power scope the requirements of the glass are not nearly so demanding and I think you'll find the resolution of a good Weaver K-2.5 to be very satisfactory.

If you don't mind going to a variable, the Leupold VX-II 1-4 may be (anecdotally) a little more recoil resistant than the VX-III line. Insofar as optics, it is fully the equal. Were it my gun, I would try the VX-II in preference to the more expensive VX-III.

The current line of "Weaver" branded-scopes is not at all like the originals in either design or function, however they do offer a 1-3X that is said to be a pretty serviceable scope. It might be worth a look.

If you could come across an old Denver Redfield 2.5x fixed, it would be a great choice, too.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have been using a weaver k 2.5 on my ruger 77 from 1984. no problems!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
Look into a Leupold "compact" 2.5X, I am putting one on a 9,3x62, not in your recoil class I know, but I believe I have seen elsewhere on AR that others have used this little scope on 458 lotts etc. Midway has some in stock, I did not see them listed on Leupold website last time I looked, so we may be seeing the last of them.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote