THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Anyone ever use a Simmons Whitetail Expedition?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever use a Simmons Whitetail Expedition?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wondering if anyone has used this scope? I have a couple and love them. They aren't the usual $59 specials and optics on par with scopes costing much more. They are a little hard to find since they hav'nt made them in a few years. Thanks
31 bertram

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
I had a Simmons Whitetail some years[12+]ago.

Optically it was a piece of junk made in the Philipines.
Their advertising hype was good though !

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had one of those on a .22 rifle for a number of years now. For what it cost it has acceptable optical quality. The adjustments still work and it has held up, but I've haven't tried it on any gun with which I would take an inportant hunting shot.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice glass.Had one on a 7mag.It was destroyed in 15 rounds.Sent it back,($20.00 round trip)destroyed it before I could even get her sighted in.Sent it back + another $20.00.Simmons sent me an Aetec and guess what,the 7mag destroyed it too.Sent it back + another $20.00.It now sits on a 6mm and works OK for now.If it goes bad,it's in the trash can it goes.$200.00 min. on my scopes that I buy these days.No more cheap scopes for me unless it's going on a .22 and I won't buy nothing from Simmons.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I believe the "Whitetail" is a different scope than the Whitetail Expedition. The latter being of higher quality and I don't believe sold very well and went out the door for much reduced prices at their end. I've heard a lot of positive reviews but Simmons could make a Zeiss quality scope and I still wouldn't trust it.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Whitetail Expedition came with the "Granite" finish correct?

If so, they are the highest quality I've seen from Simmons since the original Aetecs. I still say that was very nice glass and quality for the money...it sits on a shelf now but one rode on my 300 Win for 4-5 years.

I have a 4x mounted on a 15YN somewhere I believe.....killed a Yote that was trying to kill my wife's dog with it. That little 40gr .22 dropped him in his tracks.

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Whitetail Classic had the granite finish.

The Whitetail Expedition was a step above the Aetec.

Very good scope but was expensive and never sold well because of the Simmons reputation.

Hawkeye58

Posts: 212 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote