New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Rifle scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whats the quality of Nikon Scopes? Thinking about the 2X7 shotgun which would also be good as a compact. Is their warranty service any good? thanks

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have that scope on a rifle and love it. It is very clear and bright. I've had some shots over 200yds with it and it performed great. Planning on getting more.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks mark ! Do you think it would be a better choice than the leupold rifleman? Is Nikon war anty service anygood does anyone know? Any one try their refirbished scopes ? only a 3 month waranty on those!!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nikon scopes -- particularly the Monarchs -- are excellent, and their warranty service is tremendous as well. The Monarchs are head and shoulders above the Leupold Rifleman, but so is the BuckMaster lineup.

This subject has been discussed in-depth in this forum, so if you'll do a search, you'll find all the info you desire.

Also, a "refurb" does not mean something was wrong with the scope. Some places allow returns no matter the reason, and these must go back to the factory. Others that were used as demos get the same treatment.

Nikon checks 'em out, re-packages the scopes and labels them as refurbs.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say a Nikon Prostaff is better than a Leupold Rifleman. You won't be disappointed with the Nikon products. I have several, and in their price ranges, they are tops.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For $50 more would it be worth it to get the 2-7x32 Monarch UCC? Basically they have the same dimensions but I've only seen the UCC in a gloss finish. If it meant better optics and lens coatings the gloss finish wouldn't matter to me.

til later

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The small price difference in upgrading to a Monarch is worth it, in my experience.

Also, since Nikon revamped the Monarch lineup, a few places were closing out the old models at a terrific price. The last supply I saw as at www.swfa.com . The Team Primos 3-9x40 Monarch was 199.00.

But the dealer I would actually recommend -- and do so without hesitation -- is Jon at www.theopticzone.com

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the Monarc made in Japan? Talked to a Nikon rep and he said their scopes are made in Japan ,Philippines and China. Is the warranty service any good? Has anyone sent one back. Wonder why the referbished are only warrantied for 3 months

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
As to Nikon's service, I will give this as an example:

Several years ago, a rifle fell during a photo shoot, and the 4-12x40 AO Monarch took the brunt of the impact.

I packed it up, sent a note explaining what happened -- that it was entirely my fault -- and asked for them to call me for a cc# when they had the total.

Nine total days after I shipped the scope, I had a package from Nikon. Everything was taken care of -- and at absolutely no charge to me.

I'd say that's pretty good service... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have had similar experience in dropping one on concrete pad and other than scarred the finish, not a problem and the scope has been used on a fairly hard kicking 458 Lott for some two years now and so far so good. The scope is the 1.5 x 4 and believe it is intended for a shotgun scope/optimum distance 75 yards and is very clear and excellent definition. Did speak with Nikon folks about the "fall" and was told if it fails or gives a problem send it back and they would take care of it. Is it as good as a Leupold, not sure, but it works fine and about 2/3rds. the price.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
I'd say a Nikon Prostaff is better than a Leupold Rifleman. You won't be disappointed with the Nikon products. I have several, and in their price ranges, they are tops.

LWD
Personally I am a Burris fan I guess, but I would have to say that Nikons' ProStaff is impressive and optically better than the fullfield II. I still prefer my Eurodiamond until I can afford a VX-7, Diavari, or Swaro. If Nikon came out with an EDG scope I would add that to the list.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
As to Nikon's service, I will give this as an example:

Several years ago, a rifle fell during a photo shoot, and the 4-12x40 AO Monarch took the brunt of the impact.

I packed it up, sent a note explaining what happened -- that it was entirely my fault -- and asked for them to call me for a cc# when they had the total.

Nine total days after I shipped the scope, I had a package from Nikon. Everything was taken care of -- and at absolutely no charge to me.

I'd say that's pretty good service... Smiler
A friend of mine had a pair of ActionEX's. I guess he knocked one of the prisms loose and sent them to Nikon for repair. I believe this was January '05, he got them back March '06. He had written them off as gone and forgotten about them. A one year turn around on lower end binoc's? At least it was no charge I guess.

In the end it wasn't a big deal as he had already upgraded to Swaro's many years earlier and was going to give these Nikon's to his nephew.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nikon Monarch is an excellent scope and I would highly recommend one. One thing to think about is if the scope is refurbished, Nikon only puts a 90 day warranty on the scope.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Nikon Monarchs and Buckmasters, both seemed very reliable to me.

They both seemed conciderably clearer than Leaupold scopes.

We had a scope on a rifle that we had to send back to the factory, and it was pretty much dented in the tube from recoil from a gun, they sent it back no questions asked, just like Bobby said, with no charge to me.

Posts: 33 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 26 February 2008Reply With Quote