THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Adjustment value Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 friction screws?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjustment value Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 friction screws?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is one complete revolution worth in MOA?
15 or 60? Something else?
Thanks!

Posts: 125 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean the adj. screw on the reticle?

Seems like a "click" is 1/4" at 100 yds.

1" at 100 yds is MOA -- So, four clicks, one minute of angle. More or less. I'm assuming you have the 40mm scope. Leupold offers a VXII 3-9X in 33mm too.

I just looked at my VXII 40mm and it looks like 10 MOA "minus" and 10 MOA "plus" for a total of 20 MOA.

But then the actual movement for a click on some scopes varies -- like the first 4 clicks is 1/4" MOA each, and the next 4 becomes something else. That gets into parallax I suppose. Not sure. Also a trait of a "cheap scope" -- which Leupold is not.

Here's the copy off the web site:

http://www.leupold.com/products/products_highlights.asp

Product Highlights
The workhorse of the VX-II product group, the VX-II 3-9x40mm is the heir to the great 3-9x tradition started by Leupold more than 40 years ago. Its mid-range magnification levels and its moderate size make it extremely adaptable to a wide range of shooting conditions and game. Multicoat 4 lens system enables it to provide a clear, bright image to the user. If you only want to buy one scope to do it all, this is the scope to buy.

Special Features
• Multicoat 4® lens system
• ¼ MOA click windage and elevation dials
• Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee

one of us
posted Hide Post
45/70
Thanks for the reply.. But I'm after info for the "non click" friction type scope screw adjustments. The 1970's or so Vari-X II's.

The screws are marked with numbers and lines.
I'm trying to remember if one complete revolution is 15 MOA. (or whatever)

These are the "pre-click" adjustment scopes.

Posts: 125 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
45/70Gov, a MOA at 100 yards is actaully 1.0472" not one inch and despite the MOA on the turret most Leupold adjust in inches per hundred yards. The directions for most of the Leupolds state one click equals 1/4" inch at 100 yards not 1/4 MOA if you do not shoot at long range then this difference is of no impotance to you. If you adjust your scope for long range and need 20 MOA of adjustments for 1K then that is 80 cliks and the difference between a scope that adjusts in inches per hundred yards and one that adjusts in MOA is 9.44 inches at 1K with the same 80 clicks being used in both. For a long range shooter the difference can be huge.... cheers

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is one complete revolution worth in MOA?
15 or 60? Something else?

That is the age-old question, Grasshopper.

Leupold friction-adjusted scopes like the Vari-X II, current VX-I, and M-8 series are highly variable in how much movement of the dial results in how much movement of the reticle. By this I do not mean that they have difficulty holding their zero or even that their adjustments are inconsistent, only that moving one "graduation" on the scale seems to be quite different from scope to scope in how much it moves the reticle. I have more than a dozen of these scopes and not one seems to be consistent with another. In other words, how much to move the adjustment is largely a matter of trial and error. This is the largest drawback I see in these models, but I will readily admit that their relatively low cost, high quality, and utter dependability far outweigh this small disadvantage and make them the biggest scope bargain on the market.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Going off memory...On my Vari-x-II that I bought in the early nineties, the dial is marked in 2's. 0-2-4-6 etc. So in theory, every long line on the dial is supposed to be 2" at one hundred yards. I don't remember how high the numbers go to.

I bought a new VX-1 that also has friction adjust and the dial is different, and the values were different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know that MOA is 1.0472".

Four-hundred-seventy-two ten-thousandths. That's the thickness of a sheet of paper -- 20 lb. bond. Off a bench, action bolted to the rest, bench poured in steel-reinforced concrete, on a commerical concrete slab floor, foundation set on pilings in bed-rock -- a gun won't shoot two bullets within 0.0472" at 100 yds. no matter what.

I think if you check "rules of thumb" for ballistics and MOA, you see that it's generally referred to as "one inch at 100 yards" -- pretty much. At 100 yds with a 6x scope, generally, more or less, that "one inch" is the width of the reticle, more or less, generally, give or take.

My Leupold VXII 3 - 9X 40mm has detents, 1/4" according to the Leupold web site, and the owner's manual in the box. Right next to the dentent lines on the dial is "MOA."

-- So what else do you want to pick about?

You suppose 7000 grains is exactly a pound?

1 grain = 0.000142857143 pound, X 7,000 = ??? According to Google Calculator it's a "match."

You wanna do pi ???

Square root of 2 ???

How about ???

Velocity Required to Reach a Specific Range

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/4th/66.cfm

Or --

Mayevski’s Analytical Form of the Drag Model

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/4th/64.cfm

-- Sorry to piss and moan about picayune (It's an old French coin.) . . . I was trying to "simplify" some details, not knock a gnat off a post at a mile.

"Everybody's gotta believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer -- "

beer *LMAO*

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
45/70, perhaps you didn't read the post carefully.
I stated that unless one shoots at long range and adjust turrets then the difference doesn't matter. I was just trying to set the record straight for anyone that did not know the difference. when adjusting turrets the difference can be huge

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote