Notify
Tools

New Scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rainman1882
posted
I bought a Leupold M8 6X36 today.

I have heard that the fixed power is the ticket for something that will be "abused" compared to a variable. Not sure if that is so.

This scope will be mounted on a Remington 7600 chambered in 30-06. I'm using some Weaver "see Thru" 1" mounts for rings.

Does this sound like an acceptable Antelope/Deer setup? This is the second scoped set up I've ever used and the first I'm doing from scratch.

I'm thinking of using a similar set up on a Swiss K 31 if this all works well.

All input both pro and con is appreciated.

Posts: 120 | Location: eastern montana | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There are fewer internal parts in a fixed power, but with today's better scopes (Nikon, Burris, Leupold, etc.), the variables are quite durable -- even with a good bit of "abuse."

One thing I would not do, however, is put those awful see-through rings on a rifle. Most are cheaply made, and I would never count on such a setup to maintain p.o.i.

Also, they put your head-eye position too high for comfortable shooting with a scope, and if you aren't comfortable, you won't be consistent in placement, and that's one of the priamry keys to shooting success.

A simple Weaver-style base (just a couple bucks) with either Warne rings (around $27) or Weaver Quad-Pro/quad-lock rings for around $18 will give you a setup that's both reliable and affordable.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby speaks the truth: Get rid of the see-thru rings immediately. Nothing brands a hunter as a greenhorn neophyte troglodite as quickly as see-thru rings. Think about it: If your eye naturally aligns with the iron sights, then it will be way out of alignment with the scope floating around up there somewhere, and vice-versa.

Any Weaver-type base and ring set will do just fine. I really like the Burris Zee rings for this kind of set up, but even the cheapie aluminum Weaver-style rings will do -- just make sure they are as low as possible.

The fixed-power Leupold will be one of the most abuse-proof scopes you can buy.

The Remington pump is not one of the most accurate rifles you can buy, but is probably acceptable out to 200 yards or so, and the .30-06 is a universal game caliber for everything from antelope to moose.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't knock the accuracy of those rem pump rifles too fast. They are free floating barrels, and some shoot tiny groups. I would say that they are on par with regard to accuracy with a similarly priced bolt action gun-once the right load was found.

I agree with the others, mount the scope as low as possible. If you need back up iron sights, then have a detachable ring set up to use the factory iron sights.

You're good to 300 yards with your set up (or more if you want to shoot more and hunt less).

One of Us
Picture of rainman1882
posted Hide Post
I'll get the better mount then. I read that they aren't that good but I bought them at a garage sale for $1.00 nib. I know the rifle is good out to 300 easy, not bench rest but hunting for sure.

Posts: 120 | Location: eastern montana | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on trashing the see-thru mounts...it is an insult to any decent scope to have to be mounted on them!

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill