New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leica Ultravid 1.75-6 Riflescope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any experience with these? I know they were only made briefly, but I can't seem to find any reviews or recent selling prices.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over priced, over rated and assembled by Leopold with their components other then the lens.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Yep...but I wished I had the one I sold...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Just a quick point on price: everything is overpriced 10 years later...especially when the competition has caught up.

I have 4 current Leica ER scopes in the safe. Bar none, it's the best glass I've ever looked through. Leupold VX6, Swaro, Zeiss Victory: nope. Leica is better glass.

Asking the question "does it make a difference"? Probably about 30-60 seconds of absolute last light. Maybe. And even then it's dependent upon what color spectrum your eyes attenuate to.

Does it make any difference during normal daylight hours? /shrug. Dunno. I've shot hogs in the moonlight with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x...and hogs in the first shades of daybreak with a Leica 2.5-10x42. There's dead hogs out there as a result.

I seriously doubt either gave me more than a 60 second advantage over the other.

What I DO recognize is that sitting on the bench drilling small holes into targets hundreds of yards away, well, my eyes are more comfortable and last longer looking through Leica glass than Leupold glass. The targets just seem clearer and sharper and less fatigued. There is value in that. I also note that the reticle/target crispness is measurably better with the Leica than the Leupold.

Does it really make a diff? No. Probably not. My little Remmie .257 Bob drills 1.25" groups at 200 yards with a Loopy 2.5-8x36 and my Remmie 7mm SAUM AWR drills consistent 1.1-1.25" groups at 200 yards. Did the scope make the difference for that .1-.15"? Maybe...but I'm absolutely sure dead is dead and that even 1" isn't going to make much difference.

But what I do believe is that if Leica makes a difference in the MENTAL game of shooting then I'm going to buy Leica, damn the Benjamins.

I like Leica stuff. A LOT. 3x ER 2.5-10x42 scopes, 1x 3.5-14x44 scopes, RF900 Rangefinder, 10x42 UVid HD's, Televid 60 spotter. It's damned fine stuff.

But did it really, I mean, really make a difference? As in, change that ONE shot to being better than if I didn't have Leica?

Nah.

Coulda saved thousands of dollars. Probably hunted a fresh Buff with the glass I have in the safe.

Regrets? Nope.

But there's a 44" buff out there somewhere that needs to eat a bullet from my Montana .375 H&H and I'm happy to make it happen with a rifle topped with a Leica #1 reticle.

(*I guess all I'm saying is this: buy what works...and what works for your eyes. That's all that matters: what works for YOUR eyes. Everything else is just frippery.)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your money on Leica rifle scopes!!!!
I have Leica binoculars, spotting scopes and rangefinder binocular.
The rifle scope is not up to par compared to a Zeiss, Swarovski, Schimdt&Bender as well
I.O.R in that power range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the Am. Rifleman review, 2012:

quote:
Notwithstanding its design advantages and infallible mechanics, the ER’s true hallmark was its optical performance. Light transmission and edge-to-edge sharpness proved to be unsurpassed in comparison to other hunting scopes we have tested in this class. There was zero discernible distortion or color-fringing. Given Leica’s track record, we took on this evaluation with extremely high expectations, and by all appearances the company is finally in the riflescope business to stay.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another:

quote:
With the top score on our resolution test and solid low-light performance, this scope is the best pure optic of the bunch.

FWIW IOR is not in the same optical class as Leica, and that's a FACT. However they make good scopes but they are not cheap either.

As mentioned above, Leica's are expensive and whether they are worth the price is an individual decision. Arguments have raged for years over the "value" of high priced glass. The real answer is that with very few, if any, exceptions the hunting results would almost certainly have been the same with quality lesser glass. However, some people like to use the best and Leica is among that select group.

The Ultravid's are now nearly 20 years old. They are not going to be comparable optically to the newest coatings but they were and are very good scopes. Worth it??? Your call.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think high priced binoculars are a much better buy than comparable scopes personally. I can tell a difference in how my eyes feel after an extended period of binocular use that justifies the cost. Leicas are superb.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Don't waste your money on Leica rifle scopes!!!!
I have Leica binoculars, spotting scopes and rangefinder binocular.
The rifle scope is not up to par compared to a Zeiss, Swarovski, Schimdt&Bender as well
I.O.R in that power range.

That's a matter of opinion. I was decidedly unimpressed with the Zeiss Victory 2.5-10 I had and Swaro is horribly overpriced in my mind.

What is it you didn't like about the Leica scopes?

Regards,

Robert

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Swarovskis being overpriced. I've only owned one, but it didn't suit any of my rifles so I sold it. If money is no object I would consider the Leicas over a Swaro personally.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love my 10x40 Geovids, for sure :-0

Posts: 20162 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
I think high priced binoculars are a much better buy than comparable scopes personally.

I agree with this, 10000%. It's only in retrospect, after having spent too much on scopes that I learned this lesson. Smiler

Regards,

Robert

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leica Ultravid 1.75-6 w/ the #4 reticle. I also have the Ultravid in a 2.5-10 and a 4.5-14.
The 1.75-6 was originally on my coyote/varmint gun - an H&R Handi-Rifle heavy barrel in 223. At the time it was made in the early 2000's, it was some of, if not the most, clear optics available for the price you paid.
Since then optical quality has improved quite a bit. I have Minox and Zeiss Conquest scopes that are just about as clear as the Leica's but paid hundreds less.
Still, I wouldn't trade these three off. Still some of the better glass out there and tough and durable through more than 10 years of shooting and hauling them around. Still wish I had the other 4 Ultravid scopes that I sold off.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote