New
Find
Notify
Tools

QUESTION ABOUT VINTAGE SCOPE MOUNT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a vintage one-inch scope scope mount that I can't identify. It's kinda like one variation of a Stith mount--the front part goes into the rear sight dovetail of a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 and is thin spring steel one inch wide and 6.5 inches long. The front ring is split on top and bottom and has 4 screws in a line across the top. It appears to slide into grooves on the top of the spring steel part. The rear ring is split vertically too and has 2 screws on top. It is not screwed into the rear bridge but just rests on it with a screw on each side at an angle. This is a strange one--got any ideas?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Better post a picture, sounds like a Stith in front and some other ring in the rear, was fairly common back in the day to use the front part of a stith and the rear of a Weaver or some two piece mount????????? I have also seen where folks, drilled and tapped the front ring on a stith as the spring bottom allowed some movement according to them..Im pretty vague on your description, so a picture would help, I have some books with most all scope mounts.

I recall some guy named Ralph ?, Orchard Park, ?? that made a knock off Stith, using only the stith front ring in the dovetail, and some other attachement for the rear.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it sounds a bit Stith-like. I must get my copy of Stroebel back from a buddy. It shows several mounting systems from around that time.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it identified--it's a Miller Kodiak Mount. Quite a complex deal and I assume quite rare.

Thanks for the replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen a few but its been 60 plus years, a Stith knockoff, ungainly affair, and probably is collectable as a matter of fact, they showed up on Win.54s, 70s, and Savage 99s from time to time..Everyone I saw back then was for the Lyman Alaskan, the best scope ever built for durability..Today I use the Leupold Alaskan as it has the centered reticle, which is less durable I suppose but oh so much more handy!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
Got it identified--it's a Miller Kodiak Mount. Quite a complex deal and I assume quite rare.

Thanks for the replies.

I see it with 1953 ad in Stroebel. He said they were worth from $100 to $200 in 2008.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote