New
Find
Notify
Tools

cheap LR-hunting scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i'm looking for a cheap riflescope for long range hunting on medium and big game,(roe to moose).

it will be used at ranges at up to 500yds, and it shouldn't cost more than a Remington 700 SPS.

what do you think of leupold mark2 4-12x40 with mildot?

any suggestions?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that's it's awfully expensive for a "cheap" scope. The most economical and serviceable in that price range would be the Leupold VX-I in 4-12x, which has a minimum advertised price of $249. If you really feel you need a range compensating reticle, Leupold offers their VX-II (LR reticle) with reference points for 300, 400, and 500 yards (with the crosshairs zeroed at 200). This is for typical hunting spitzers at + or - 3000 fps. It will run perhaps a hundred dollars more.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really feel you need a range compensating reticle, Leupold offers their VX-II (LR reticle) with reference points for 300, 400, and 500 yards (with the crosshairs zeroed at 200). This is for typical hunting spitzers at + or - 3000 fps. It will run perhaps a hundred dollars mor

i will be shooting 180grs Barnes TSX(bc .552) at 3178fps, if that has anything to say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't you have alot of European scope options in Norway?

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't you have alot of European scope options in Norway?

yes we have, but european brands such as Zeiss, Swarovski and Schmidt&Bender are way too expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that you and i are in different income brackets.

i just bought a simmons master series prohunter 6.5-18x40 for $145 out the door.
thanks cheap long range in my book.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Steffen-9.3,

I'd have to suggest a Nikon buck masters. They have the best optics in their price range and they are rock solid performers. I've owned 5 and never had a minutes trouble.

I have 2 6-18x40 with SF on heavy barrel paper punchers and they have been surprising good scopes. The optics are very good, I can see 22 cal bullet holes at 200 yards in white paper with ease. They come with a sunshade and a set of oversize target turrets.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3614

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd second the suggestions of a Simmons for really inexpensive or Nikon Buckmaster for inexpensive. I have each and both are very fine scopes for what you pay for them.

I don't know how much a Leupold Mark 2 would cost you in your neck of the woods, but around here that's close to Zeiss Conquest price, which I would prefer by a wide margin.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that you and i are in different income brackets.

i have an average income, and in my world a 700$ scope isn't cheap.
but on our norwegian forum the longrange shooters have scopes for 1400$++++.

quote:
I'd have to suggest a Nikon buck masters. They have the best optics in their price range and they are rock solid performers. I've owned 5 and never had a minutes trouble.

I have 2 6-18x40 with SF on heavy barrel paper punchers and they have been surprising good scopes. The optics are very good, I can see 22 cal bullet holes

i've heard that nikon is great value, i will check them out.

quote:
I don't know how much a Leupold Mark 2 would cost you in your neck of the woods, but around here that's close to Zeiss Conquest price, which I would prefer by a wide margin.

the conquest 3,5-10x44 is 60$ cheaper than the leupold mark 2
the conquest 4,5-14x44 is 100$ more expensive than the leupold mark 2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen-9.3:
i will be shooting 180grs Barnes TSX(bc .552) at 3178fps, if that has anything to say.

With that velocity and that bullet, the Leupold LR reticle would be just about dead on at 200, 300, 400, and 500 METERS rather than yards. You can check the MOA spacing of the referene marks (look for the information on the Leupold website) against the projected trajectory of your load to find out exactly, but my guess won't be off by more than 2cm at any given distance.

Is this a .300 WBY or perhaps a .300 RUM?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a .300 WBY or perhaps a .300 RUM?

meters...excellent!

it's a .300 Wby loaded with 83grs Norma mrp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the .300 WBY, the Bushnell 3200's are nice inexpensive scopes, I also liked the discontinued Simmons Whitetail Expedition scopes, easily as good as any Leupold

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote