New
Find
Notify
Tools

What power scope for a .25/06 for Antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm needing to buy a scope for a .25/06 that will see use for antelope here in the west. Obviously, will be used for Muleys also. What power scope should I look for?
3-9x40......4-14x40........6-20x44?????

Posts: 70 | Location: N. Utah | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 3-9, a 2.5-10, and currently have a 4.5-14 on my .25/06. Any of the above will work fine. My advice is to buy the best optics in that range that you can afford. A good 3-9 will serve you a lot better than a cheap 6.5-20. I see a lot of people with really big scopes on their rifles. They just aen't necessary. I keep my scope set mid range the majority of the time, unless I am in brush. Then it is on low setting. Really only use higher power for bench work, or on stationary Antelope. Never had any problem hitting a prarie goat with a scope set on 5-6x. Dad had a problem one year with a buck at about 40 yards, and his scope on 9x. Couldn't see anything but hair. Got the Antelope, but turned his scope down after that.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 3x9 will be fine for any big game out to 500 yards.I won't use any more magnification in case a deer appears at very close range.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
Personally I stay away from anything with more than 14X for a big game rifle.
A 3.5 X 10 or a 4.5 X 14 Leupold Vari X III would be my choice.
I would probaly go with the 4.5 X 14

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a fixed 6 power on my 25-06 and feel it is more than adequate for antelope.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I would think a quality 4-16x would cover things very nicely. 25/06 is a very versatile cartridge. And 4-16x is a very versatile magnification range.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my antilopcapra with a 4-12X50 scope that never left 6X.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I've been leaning towards a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40SF for a while now and from what I read, at least a few see this as a viable plan. Since I reload, I can also see using the .25/06 for some limited squirrel and prairie dog target practice along with my other smaller caliber rimfire and centerfire rifles. I've always considered a variable power scope to be more flexible for my particular uses therefore I've leaned away from the fixed powers. Thanks for all the different points of view. If anyone has others, just shout.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Something on the order of a 4.5 X 14 will be perfect for your uses.

My 25-06 wears a Leupold 4.5 X 14 Vari-X III that has been just great on it. I have shot lots of coyotes and wild hogs with it. I have collected four antelope with it. I even use it for long range ground squirrel or rockchuck shooting on occasion. Great combination!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Put me in the 4.5-14x Leupold box for my .25-06. I wouldn't go quite this high on an antelope-only rifle, but also use it for long range coyote. Any quality scope from 3-9x to the one above will work fine.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
If I were looking at Nikon then I'd get the Monarch 3X9x40 over the Buckmaster.
Looks to be about the same price here. www.theopticzone.com
Good luck with whatever you decide.
I prefer a Zeiss Conquest though.
Rob

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 X 18 on mine. I like to use it like a spotting scope, and normally don't carry my binoculars when I'm carrying it.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've chosen a very good scope for your needs.

Check out this one:
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3971

It has the new Ballistic reticle which would be very nice for those lopes that are out there a bit.

Good luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's easier to get too much than too little magnification. The higher power variables are bigger, heavier, typically more complicated (AO, etc), and more expensive than "hunting" power variables. There's no such thing as an antelope that you can't see well enough to shoot when magnified four times. Nine or ten times is just gravy.

A scope with a top end no greater than 10X will be much more versatile -- after all, you might want to use that same rifle for hunting whitetails or hogs in a swamp or in thick timber sometime and would trade for the 3x low end in a heartbeat.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have a 3-9x40 Conquest on my .308 and of course I love it. I was thinking a little more power would be useful for what I'm expecting to use it for. I was looking at the Nikon in a mil-dot. I also was looking at a Leupold VXII in the 4x12-40 AO. I just feel the loopys are over-priced and over-rated. It is smaller and lighter than the Nikon though. I appreciate all the good points mentioned. Decisions, decisions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
teesh, one of my hunting partner was considering a higher powered scope, he had a 3x9 Conquest and loved it--so do I--I had a conquest at 4.5x14x50 on detachable mounts on a rifle I was shooting at the same time at the range. I had him take his scope off, and put mine on (both talley rings & bases) and without adjusting my scope, shoot some groups, other than being in a little different spot on the target face, his groups were much tighter than with his 3x9, We think it's just as simple as the higher mag makes it easier to shoot well at distance.......maybe that's a factor for you on antelope, I know I've shot a few (and had to) way out there.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Teesh: I have been using a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope for the last several years on my newest dedicated Antelope Rifle (Remington 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester)!
I prefer a minimum of 20 power (top end of the variable scope) on my dedicated Antelope Rifles anymore!
My sons and I do, though, have a very accurate Remington 700 SS/DBM in 25/06 and it wears a superb Leupold 4.5x14 variable scope!
This Rifle is used for Whitetails, Mule Deer, Coyotes and Antelope!
The first head of Big Game it was used to harvest was an Antelope!
It was my middle sons first Antelope and it was a dandy speed goat to say the least!
My Leica rangefinder showed 403 yards and that Lope had us pinned down (we were lying prone just at the crest of a hill - if that can be called "pinned down"?). The Buck knew something was amiss and would not leave nor would it come any closer! A Harris Bi-pod and a Darrel Holland designed rear sand bag (mini-size, made by Dog-Gone-Good Shooting Bags LLC) allowed us to be rather confident with the absolute steady rest and no wind conditions.
We waited for the Buck to turn broadside. That Buck fell at the shot and never twitched!
By the way this is the only Big Game Rifle in the VarmintFamilies arsenal that shoots factory ammunition - AT Big Game!
It shoots the Remington PSP ammo into such small groups and has such lethal effects on the above mentioned game species that we just keep buying more of the factory fodder for it!
I highly recommend the Leupold 4.5x14 variable scope - for double duty on Antelope and Mule Deer!
They are pricey but they are a splendid and reliable scope.
I also recommend the Du-plex reticle to you.
Best of luck with whichever scope you choose for your 25/06!
As an after thought Teesh - another scope I have several of, and have had great results with, is the Weaver V-16 (variable 4 to 16 power!).
I have used these Weavers on my Varmint Rifles in heat, rain, snow and ultra cold and no problems to date!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mate of mine just took a 25-06 to Namibia, on a hunt with Mike Kibble, with a 4.4-14x50 LR Leupold on it in dual dovetail rings.

He shot springbuck and impala as well as numeroous baboons with it.

Bloody nice combination. I thought he might lose that particular rifle to the PH thumb

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Teesh:

I took a 280 to Wyoming in '04 and shot both mule dear and antelope....the mulie at 217 yds and the 'lope at 310 yards. The scope was a Zeiss Conquest 3x9. It was PLENTY of scope. Now I'm pretty sure that my 280 loaded to 7mm mag levels such as it is has a touch more punch than the 25-06 at 300+ yards....that being said, I also have the identical rifle in 25-06 with the same scope on it that I would take next time...just for a change of pace...and my 25-06 hasn't drawn blood yet. In my opinion, the 25-06 FOR ANTELOPE is about a 300-325 yard gun...unless the shooter is ex-sniper material. A good clear 3x9 would make a very nice combo for the 25-06....as would a good 115 gr...premium bullet...loaded nice and quick. Remember before you load a fragile bullet that fast....you may shoot one at 100 yards too.
Now for small critters a higher magnification might be justified....but a CLEAR 3x9 is still a good choice....plus you don't really need to worry about parallax, etc....AND the plains where you find the goats can put up a bit of "heat waves to further complicate your sighting.
There's my $.03 worth.
Best of luck to you.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 3-10X42 Swaro with a TDS on my .257 weatherby. It is excellent. However my antelope have been shot with my 7 STW.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I will agree with most on this one. A good 3-12 or 4-12 is a great place to be.

A buddy of mine just picked up a new Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 with the SideFocus for his 270. The Sidefocus is conviently place on the scope and it seems less movement is required to adjust.

IMO a good scope with an Adjustable Objective is a must.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if it's too far for 9x, it's too far for anything you can hold with your shoulder. A good 3x9 would go together on that rifle just like carrots and peas. Cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your choice of the Nikon Buckmasters is just right for your needs. But i'd go for the mil-dot reticle also, due to it's excellent windage reference for LR varmints in combination with the low-profile turret for elevation. In fact the mil-dot is calibrated for 12X, but the catalog provides the subtensions for 14X which is the way i'd use it for downwrange zeroing (if desired), windage and ranging (also, if desired).

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i''d say go 4.5x16 or 4.5x14 with 40mm , you can always turn it down,nikon and leupold very good optics,this power range will complement your 25-06 very well . regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on a 25.06, If money didnt come into the equation then a swaro 4-16 x 50 with a TDS4 reticle would have to be a good option.

You have good glass, ability to shoot deer and small stuff a good range with that reticle and good low light capability, which with deer can often be the case.

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote