Find
Notify
Tools

Redfield scope without knurled rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted
Can anyone give me a clue as to the model and age of a Redfield 3-9 I've just acquired (thanks to the consideration of an AR member)?

The scope has a strange, stepped ocular housing with no knurling around it. The profile of both the ocular bell and turret caps are much squarer than the sections of other Redfields I've seen, except the one in the ad below, which appears to be the same model, by the description:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/96...ower-Rifle-Scope.htm

I suspect from the duplex reticle that is not a very early model, and even the Kollmorgen Cubs, which morphed into Redfields, had the knurling.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't recall ever seeing that model.

After the old Redfield company of Denver broke up there was a succession of the owners of the name as it was used for riflescopes. As you know, Leupold now owns the Redfield name.

My best guess is that the scope in question was made by (or for) one of the Redfield successors during the time that the name was in flux. Who might have actually manufactured it will probably remain a mystery, but at that time there were not that many optics manufacturers building riflescopes in the U.S. -- Leupold, Burris, and perhaps the last of the Weavers. Wikipedia says that Unertl was still in business until 2008, but I can't feature them building a moderate-price hunting scope as a contractor. I think that Lyman and B&L were already out of the scope business by then.

Let us know about the scope's qualities and features once you've had a chance to wring it out.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek,
Since no one else here seems to know anything more, do you think such an odd-ball Redfield would have any collector's value? The reason I ask is because I bought it, sight unseen, to pull to pieces for book research. It was supposedly worn out but I can't see too much evidence of that and would not wish to commit any collectible atrocity.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the Realist brand

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be rare, but like many unusual things there is no real collectors market for them. I doubt that a contractor-produced scope branded Redfield would ever have any value beyond whatever practical use it may have.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
It may be rare, but like many unusual things there is no real collectors market for them. I doubt that a contractor-produced scope branded Redfield would ever have any value beyond whatever practical use it may have.

Like my sporterised MS and Mausers, perhaps - they might be one-off rarities but I know (also being a realist Smiler), that won't help the kids sell them when I'm gone.