Find
Notify
Tools

Talley and Warne Ring Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
A gunsmith is sending me some custom bases that are for Talley rings, he also said in passing that some Warnes will fit it too.
Which Warne models are able to fit on Talley bases?
Which Warne models will fit on Weaver bases?
Any other brand rings to fit Talley bases?
Thanks
PS please be clear with your answer I asked this question on the gunsmithing forum and got some answers but none too clear.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The older Warne Premier rings had a dovetail similar to Talley rings. I say similar because I don't remember if they are dimensionally identical. Also the Warne rings used a crossbolt on the bottom of the dovetail as a recoil shouler. The Talley use a shoulder on the base as the recoil shoulder. It's no real trick to mill a slot on the bases for the cross bolt. The ones you're getting may already have the slot.

I don't know if Warne still makes the Premier series. The ones that fit a Weaver type base are called Maxima rings. They are butt-ugly compared to the Premier rings.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Warne still makes 3/8" dovetail bases but discontinued the Premier rings for those bases several years ago. The Talley rings I have don't work on Warne bases, but I don't know if the opposite is true.

The Premier rings were machined from solid stock and that led to their demise. When I called Warne they said they were to expensive to produce anymore.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think they are interchaneable. The Warnes all have a lug on the bottom and the bases are narrower than the Talleys. Go for the Talleys! Much better than the current Warnes. I would use Leupold QRWs before Warnes.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
So Weavers are a 3/8" groove?
Talleys are what groove?
Warnes are what groove?
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote