New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver 1x3power worth keeping.or not
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a weaver 1x3 New scope on.a 444 marlin Winchester 94 that I just bought .I replaced it with a Nikon monarch 3x9 Japanese made Nikon .I also replaces the old clam on weaver mounts with weaver 4x4,see through mounts but I.might replace those with Burris signature zee rings which take the shock off the scope .I am.wondering if I.should keep this weaver 1x3 in those mounts just for a back up scope .I Did that in Alaska on.drop hunts .Have any of you used the new 1x3power weaver scopes .It's clear as heck and on one power you can keep both eyes open .The bad think I don't think I could make the through the brush shots I make like I do with the 3x9 Nikon monarch .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would keep the scope until it shows evidence of not holding zero, or rattling. I know nothing about the durability of those Weavers but I like the limited power range.

Too many modern scopes have gone mad with zoom multiples, most likely causing them to move erector lenses farther forward than in previous generations, exposing them to more damage from recoil and bumps.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's clear as heck Japanese lens in it .I will try it on my Ruger pc4 40 s&w carbine it's a 10mm and does not know it .I will see how good it shoots at 100 yards .I do.like it up close for thickets .I.read the reviews for this scope people had them on 458 wm and 375 h&k no problems .It was free with the gun I just bought just wanted a bigger scope on that gun for up to 200 yards .I might try it on my 3030 Winchester 94 also .I have heard lots of good things about this scope ! We shall see if they are true !

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Nothing much wrong with Japanese lenses; think Kowa, Nikon and all the other camera companies.

I doubt you need more power for shooting out to 200 yards - unless you're after rabbits.

As Townsend Whelen observed, big game tends to be ... big. He believed long eye relief and large field of view were much more important than high magnification, even out to 350 yards.

His favorite rifle was apparently a .270 with a two-and-a-quarter-power scope.

Apart from vulnerable bulk and realised shake and mirage, high magnifications block out massive areas of real estate around your target, too, adding danger and difficulty in finding your target.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First step is to get rid of those ridiculous see through mounts. Then, for the distance you'll probably be shooting, the 1x3 should work fine. For years, my go to elk rifle was a 7mag with a 1x5 on it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is I have to shoot through little holes in the brush to find a clear shot .I find as the older I get the more powerful scope I need to see through them .I.Have a 3.5x10 x50 mm Nikon monarch on my 338 win mag that I deer hunt with .The light at daylight and dark is very dim .I just switched from a 3x9x40 nikon monarch scope off that gun .I had to use see through 4x4 mounts to not see the front site in the scope .It was too much distraction on.That 444 marlin to look at the front site with the hood on it .The mountains where I hunt are even darker during the day time .The sun is gone an hour and a half before dark same darkness in the morning .I have had to pop many bucks through small holes in the timber it's not as easy as it looks .I shot one last fall and hit a limb and He walked right under me after that and I popped him .I have 400 yard power line shots too in the same place .I will play with that 1x3power weaver on my 1022 Ruger and my Ruger pc4 40 caliber carbine .It would be a good scope for stalking might end up on my old Winchester 3030 telling .I almost traded it off for a bunch of ammo but saw how clear it was and kept it .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if you're running around the woods deer hunting with a 3.5x10x50, I'd suggest taking the 1x3 off and getting rid of it. Maybe use it as a paper weight or something.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
... I had to use see through 4x4 mounts to not see the front site in the scope .It was too much distraction on.That 444 marlin to look at the front site with the hood on it ...

Maybe you could take the hood off the front sight. As long as the scope is mounted straight, the fore sight should be a guide to head position - if it lines up with the reticle, parallax should not be a problem. If the open sight bothers you when there's a big buck in the picture, your OCD is something to behold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could see the whole end of the barrel with those low mounts with that 1x3 power weaver .I wanted high Burris signature zee rings to take the shock out of the scope .I use them on my 416 s and 338-378 .I can see way better with that Nikon 3x9 at over 100 yards .I think that 1x3 is awesome for under 75 yards but over that I can't use it good with my eyes .I have cadracks in both eyes too and that sucks at dark bad daylight if I don't have alot of light in the scope .That 1x3 weaver is very clear that's why I didn't trade it the other day I read a bunch of reviews on it and most all the people really liked it .

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thinking about seeing the open sights through the scope, I've got a couple of ancient Nickel Marburgs that show black humps at the bottom of the reticles at very low powers. I read a French report that suggested these are to hide a rifle's front sight but I'd be surprised if the humps were high enough.

Sorry to hear about your cataracts, dgr. I take it you have updated your specs to give the best vision possible, though - to rely on high scope/bino magnifications to compensate is kind of dangerous because they add massive blinkers to our vision, which might stop you seeing another hunter out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Weavers were good hunting scopes, the weak link back then was they tended to fog up in inclement weather, most old timers left them outside in a pup tent, and that worked sometimes, but not always...They were better in warm southern climes and great in Africa.

The new scopes Ive played with didn't seem to fog at all on a couple of cold snowy hunts behind my house in Idaho..The were clear as a bell 1x3 and a fixed 4X..I would hunt with one. I have no idea as to durability as yet, but based on observation and trial I suspect they will be better than the old Weavers..I have one of the new 4X Weaver on my Win. mod.63 22 L.R. for the last 8 or 9 years with no problems summer or winter. Has not been overly exposed but it been hunting in hot and cold weather..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The old Weavers were good hunting scopes, the weak link back then was they tended to fog up in inclement weather, most old timers left them outside in a pup tent, and that worked sometimes, but not always...They were better in warm southern climes and great in Africa.

Fog they did Mr. Atkinson! And it cost me what would have been one of my best bucks ever. I inherited a Rem. 740 30/06 from my grandfather. It was topped with a Weaver 2.5X steel tube K series with the razor thin cross hairs. I was hunting a powerline on a drizzly morning when, 75 yards away, out stepped a beauty of a 10pt that would easily go in the 150's. He was mine dead to rights but when I put my rifle up all I could see was a gray fog through scope. Couldn't even see the crosshairs. The deer poked around for a few minutes while I tried everything I could think of get the moisture out of there. I swear if I'd had a rock, I would have beat that scope of its mounts to get to the iron sights!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote