New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris fulfield II
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Burris fulfield II in 2X7X35.

I didn't notice that the box said it was the
shotgun/muzzle loader version until I got home.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the regular 2X7 and the shotgun/muzzle loader version?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Parallax is probably set at 50 yards as opposed to 150 or so for regular hunting scopes, wich shouldn't hurt anything, especially for shots on larger game. The reticle may also be heavier.

I use a Leupold VX I 1-4 shotgun scope on my 375 H&H and it works fine. I really like the heavier reticle. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lou. I intend this scope for my
.338-06 A.I., so it should be just fine. Big Grin

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a trick to overcome parallax.

Pull back from the scope until the image is smaller than the eyepiece. Move the eye until the image is centered.

This is an improvement, but not perfect.
It the gun is sighted in that way, it is perfect.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip! I must confess that the role of parallax escapes me. My mind says that sighted in is.....sighted in?

Doesn't the bullet hit where it is adjusted for regardless of the parallax setting?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure exactly how paralax works either but I know how to test for it. Take a scope where you know its paralax setting (AO will help for this, set it to 100 yds or higher). Crank the scope to its highest power if it is a variable since it gets more noticable at higher magnification. Point it at something that is at some other distance, say 10-20 yards away. Put the scope or rifle in a rest or vice that will lock it down so it can't move. Sight through the scope so you have a normal picture. Now move your head slightly up and down and side to side. the crosshairs will move point of aim even though the scope has not moved one bit. That is parallax! You will also see distortion at the outside edges. It can change the point of aim simply by how you look through the scope. Adjustable Objectives accomodate for this at different range settings. Fixed objective scopes have one setting that is perfect and all others are a compromise Obviously, the longer range you are shooting, and the farther you are from the specified setting, the more it can affect your shot.

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same scope on my 35 Whelen. I also wondered why it said shotgun on the package, so I called Burris customer service. The guy on the phone told me it was perfectly fine to shoot on a rifle. He didn't get into anything about paralax, so I don't have any knowledge on that topic. He told me it was merely for marketing reasons that they write that on the box.

Anyhow, it works great and I've had no problem in the 300 rounds I've put through the gun so far and I have no problem focusing on targets out to 250 yards.

The thing I like about the scope is the main tube is longer than the other Leupold scopes I have so I can use non-extended rings when I mount it on my Remington 700 long action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"If an optical instrument — e.g., a telescope, microscope, or theodolite — is imprecisely focused, its cross-hairs will appear to move with respect to the object focused on if one moves one's head horizontally in front of the eyepiece."

Here's a link to the complete wikipedia article, which goes way beyond what we need to know re riflescopes: parallax

What we really need to know is that imprecise focus can cause the point of aim to shift slightly when the eye moves slightly behind the scope. But this doesn't really mean much for us in hunting applications. We aren't using really high magnification scopes and aren't shooting at ranges where the impact difference will matter. That deer won't know the bullet hit an inch to the left.

Where this is more likely to be a significant problem is with rimfire shooting with a centerfire scope. Most centerfire scopes are set to be parallax free at 100 yards. I had one on a .22 that I was shooting at 25 yards. Once I adjusted above 6x power the parallax could move the point of impact an inch or more. In other words, unless I held my held the same way in the same position each time the bullet would be as much as an inch off.

This really boils down to higher magnification at extreme ranges. The higher magnification increases the problem. An extreme range either long or short relatively speaking amplifies the problem as well. Otherwise, it's not worth worrying about for hunting applications.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote