New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schmidt & Bender
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of buying a 8x56 illuminated reticle.Does anyone have one?I have a 4x36 now that I really like.Is their warrenty transferable?Is the 8x56 a good choice for deer hunting out of a stand?I don't know if the power would be to much for a fixed.I'm wanting max. low light peformance.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
In Europe the 8x56 is the classic high seat low light scope as is it for the Australian Professional Fox Shooters.
My choice would be the S&B 2.5-10X56 VARI with no4 reticle.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I had a S&B 8x56 on my 270win for a long time. This was non-illuminated. For the purpose they were designed for - hunting from high seats etc - they are absolutely excellent. However, they are not the most flexible scope in the world. A few times while hunting deer in woods I found them to be over-magnified, with a narrow field of view at ranges under about 80 yards.

I changed this scope to a S&B 3-12x50 L7 Ill Ret. This is an excellent scope, brilliant in low / no light. The ill ret is fantastic in low light and heavy dark cover. I did look at the 2.5-10x56, I just thought they were too heavy. The 50mm scope is plenty heavy enough as is. You can also get the 50mm mounted fairly low in medium height mounts, the 56 generally needs high mounts.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rather than the S&B: what about the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X56? Illuminated reticle is standard.

I traded all my S&B scopes in for the NXS in various formats.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote