THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Scope magnification for a .280 Ackley Improved

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope magnification for a .280 Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys,

Just wondering what magnification variables you are running on your .280 AI's?

In the market for a new scope, thinking about a 3.5-10x magnification.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Get a 1.5-6x if you can. Unless you're shooting rabbits, larger powers are not needed but can bring problems of size, focus and parallax perceived.

The modern obsession with magnification is basically marketers' desperation to move product - they can't afford to allow people to think that what they have is good enough.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I am running the 3.5-10x40 VX3 Leupold on one of my rifles and I like it. It zooms enough that I can print a decent group on the bench although the rifle is set up for predator/varmint calling.

I love my 4x33 and 6x33 fixed Leupolds and they may be great for hunting but I want more zoom if I am sitting on the bench shooting paper. The cross hairs cover too much of the bullseye for me to be effective.

Tell us about the rifle. Is it a mountain rifle? (light weight/thin barrel) or is it a custom bench gun?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put more than a 3.5-10X on it, but that power range will do everything you want, including allow you to be fairly precise on paper when working up loads and zeroing.

Field of view is obviously important in quick acquisition of the scope's sight picture when shooting is quick and close. But a large "eyebox" like Leupold offers plus a stock that fits you and having the scope mounted in the right place and height is perhaps even more important. With the 3.5 magnification you have ample FOV for any situation provided you also have proper scope/stock fit.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Longest shot would be 500-600 yards so a 10x would be more than adequate. I do lots of closer hunting (under 100 yards) so 3-3.5x would be better.

My .280AI is a Kimber Hunter. I'm either going for a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 with CDS or Meopta Meopto in the same magnification range. A little heavier but supposed to be excellent in low light.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
kiwiwildcat: I also have a Kimber Hunter in 280AI. I put a Meopta 3.5x10x44 on it. Mainly chose that scope because I bought it during a promotion sale and had not used it yet. Suits my purpose. Mine shoots any 140gr 280AI or 280 Rem ammo equally good and to the same POA-POI.

Safe shooting...……...LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the Steiner GS3 4a

New 5x Zoom Range
provides sharp resolution at long distances for more accurate shooting for wide open areas.
CAT™ Color Adjusted Transmission
amplifies contrast in the peak human vision sensitivity range, to spot game in any environment.
Steiner Plex S1 Reticle
help determine holdover for distance and cascading dots/lines compensate for wind.
Steiner 4A Reticle
provides a simple, uncluttered aiming tool
Short Mounting Length
of just 5.4 inches for mounting on short actions, muzzleloaders or lightweight mountain rifles.
Rugged 30mm Tube
milled from solid aluminum stock so there are no welds or seams, for greater strength and durability.
Waterproof/Fogproof
durable construction you can trust to stand up to any cold or wet condition.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't rule out a straight 6 power Leupold. They're really reliable, lightweight and have been successful for me from 20 yards to 400 yards. The 36mm also fits well into a saddle scabbard. Sometimes "simpler" can be better...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, eddie, considering fixed power can do without the brassy scroll, maybe that's as good as it gets now, in terms of some power without unnecessary weight in the erector tube.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddiel4:
I wouldn't rule out a straight 6 power Leupold. They're really reliable, lightweight and have been successful for me from 20 yards to 400 yards. The 36mm also fits well into a saddle scabbard. Sometimes "simpler" can be better...
I agree. Six X magnification is a little too much if you anticipate doing some bit of quick/close shooting -- but as I said earlier, proper low mounting and stock fit can go a long way in getting quick sight picture acquisition with a slightly higher power scope.

On a related subject, I wouldn't put a large, heavy scope with a 30mm tube on a "mountain" type light rifle. Mounting such a cumbersome scope defeats the entire purpose of having a light, trim rifle to begin with.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you use a scope for..Big ugly scopes that ruin rifle balance is the vogue, but its not for me..I really like a 4X fixed leupold on deer, elk, PG, etc. and a 3x fixed Leupold on a DG rifle. These scopes have served me well with not a single problem, and the problems I hear about are mostly contrived or so it seems to me..the only problems Ive had with scopes is with the larger heavier scopes..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
put a leupold VX-2 Ultra 3-9x33 on my daughters 280 AI. Has a MOA elevation turret.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has a MOA elevation turret.

You can negate that disadvantage by wrapping a small piece of electrical tape around the turret to assure that it won't be moved once it has been zeroed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6X42 leupold: Leopold dot reticle. with a 1" dot. Light and bright with a 4.5" eye relief. 7MM exit pupil.
I just like a dot. Put the dot on the target and pull the trigger.
Great for moving targets.
Do wish they offered an illuminated dot on this scope.
I have a Meopta R2 1.7 X 10 X 42 with a German #4 dot that is illuminated. Great scope!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Has a MOA elevation turret.

You can negate that disadvantage by wrapping a small piece of electrical tape around the turret to assure that it won't be moved once it has been zeroed.

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
CAT™ Color Adjusted Transmission
amplifies contrast in the peak human vision sensitivity range, to spot game in any environment.

At least someone is admitting that they use coatings that skew the color transmission (toward the red end by filtering out some of the blue) in order to fool the eye into thinking the image is "brighter". No, dummy, it's just redder and your eye tells your brain that it's brighter. Most of us would prefer that the optical instrument transmit true colors instead of making some of the colors duller (transmitting less light) in order to make other colors stand out.