New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Scope Should I Pick?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm about to buy a new rifle --- Blaser R 93 Pro Model chambered in 9.3x62mm ---- and need (want) to put one of the new Swarovski Z6i scopes on it. It will be (hopefully) what I will use in Croatia for driven boar in November.

The problem is I can't make up my mind between the 1-6x24mm and the 1.7-10x42mm and either way the reticle will be the illumiated circle-dot. I know as a specialized boar gun the added field of view (127' at 100 yards) for the 1-6x24mm would be better than the 76' field of view for the 1.7-10x42mm BUT I think the 1,7-10x42mm would be a more versatile all-around scope.

The question is ---- "Will I be handicapping myself very much by picking the 1.7-10x42mm over the 1-6x24mm -- both with a lighted battue reticle?"

And please, these are the ONLY two I'm considering so let's not confuse me with other options. Wink

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What distances and what is the lighting like? If this is up close and personal type hunting I'd go w/ the 1-6.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure you know, but the larger objective would normally gather more light, if that is an issue for you. That may be something to consider over the reduced field of view. Swarovski makes great scopes with excellent glass, so if you have not done it, I would do a side by side test even in low light. Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
For a 9.3x62mm, I would go with the 1-6x24mm.

In my hands at least, a 9.3 is at most a 250 yard rifle, and 6x is plenty for that kind of shooting.

Plus, as you say, if you are hunting driven boar, you may appreciate the significant short range FOV advantage.

Now, having said that, I still might be persuaded to go with the 1.7-10x42mm if there was a chance that the scope would do multiple duty on other Blaser barrels in flatter shooting calibers.

The good news is that there is no way you can go "wrong" whichever scope you choose. Swarovskis are among the very best.

They are great scopes!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13474 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot 3 deer last year at 400+, 500+, and 400+ yards ranged with my Leica 7x24 CRF 1200.

I had a 2x7 scope on a 270.

I left the scope on 2X the whole time so I could see the hits. I wish I could go lower.

When I sighted the scope in on a paper target, I kept the scope on 7X. I wish I could go higher.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I would pick the 1 to 6.

Up to now my goto scopes for other than dedicated Varmint and Long Range rifles has been either a 1 to 4 or 1.5 to 6 of good quality.

I have owned most of the "major" names at one time or another and have my favorites as do most of us.

With the advent of the new high quality 6X multiples and the especially the March 10 X multiples ; I think hunting optics are taking a big step forward for guys that still hunt (or stalk) in particular.

I am looking seriously at the March 1 to 10 as my next purchase.

Money is always a factor in optics as with most things, value is more important,especially in terms of durability, low light capability and consistency both of the optical quality and the company's standing behind their product.

I am waiting a tad on the March, having been bitten by my "early adopter" behaviour in the past.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a time when the distances you mentioned seemed like a piece of cake but alas the ravages of age the confidence needed for those kind of shots is no longer there.

It would need to be a large, stationary animal for me to try a shot, even with a solid rest, much past 250 yards on a game animal.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill for DRIVEN boar I would go with the 1 to 6.

The illuminated reticle will be especially handy on running game, even if bright daylight.

I have shot antelope with a 308 and a fixed 6X scope at @550 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I have a Z6 1-6x24, and a S&B 1.5-6.

On a 9.3x62, I can't see when you'd need a 10x magnification. Even 6x is beyond what I ever use in the field on .375 and other big bores.

But the true 1x of the Z6 is truly outstanding for close and fast work. If you are on a driven boar hunt, you'll really appreciate it.

Also, if one day you take your 9.3x62 for a walk in the African bush, you'll love that scope.

If you don't have it in mind yet, check the Z6 illuminated Centre Dot reticle. Can't get much better for what you want to do. And try a Z6 EE so you can compare the standard eye relief with the extend one. In my opinion, the EE is better.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's been said above..
When Leupold's VX-7 scopes came out, I went straight for a 1.5-6x24 model. That's more than sufficient for Northern Michigan hunting.
I do read that the Swaro Z-6 in the same power is a better scope however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,
What ever power scope you decide on with the Z6, do yourself a favor and go with the rail mount system for the R93 Blaser. I converted all my standard Blaser ring mounts over to the Blaser Swarovski rail mounts and couldn't be happier. Good luck!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Z6I 1X6EE on my 375 Flanged Double , and a 1.7X 10 Z6I on my 375 H&H bolt gun. I love both of the scopes, and for close in the 1.7 is adequate with the extra capability for 10 power for long distance. The 40 MM objective gives a brighter scope and with the illuminated 4A reticle is great for dusk or early morning shots.

The circle dot illuminated is also a great reticle on either scope and I have it on the 1X6

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
Hey hey hey 470drshooter

to hell with whats scope is on what gun shoot that there flange and post us up some targets you are arunnin out a time the hunt is a commin in days not months

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To Stradling: I thought you crashed in the high sierra's looking for missing pilot Ray Fossett.

Finally got my 375 H&H the other day and my loading bench set up.

Started my work-out routine and am hitting the range several times a week. Give me a call.

What happened to Jamison's 375 Flanged run?

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
For a walking rig that 1-6X24 would be hard to beat.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Bill for DRIVEN boar I would go with the 1 to 6.

The illuminated reticle will be especially handy on running game, even if bright daylight.

I'll second that absolutely. Here's my (foul weather) drive hunting rifle, a R93 in 9,3x62 not much different from the one you plan to acquire. It is topped off with a Swaro 1,25-4x24 with illuminated reticle. It has been pure murder on running boars, with several doubles (here's where the Mag-Na-Port came in handy as it makes the rifle recoil straight back).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I've frequently wanted higher power, never wanted lower power. You can always adjust the 1.7-10 down and leave her on 1.7. If the shot is so fast that you need that low of a magnification to find the animal, you probably don't have sufficient time to be assured of a good, clean shot anyway. My .02

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote