THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    What Height Leupolds or Warnes do I need with 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest on Sako 75

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Height Leupolds or Warnes do I need with 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest on Sako 75
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am thinking about Warne QD's..............think that system will work better there standard rings with the sako 75. will mediums work ??

Or the Leupold ring mounts will Mediums work or will I need high with the 44mm obejctive on the conquest, friends rifle would not work with a weaver 40mm bell and the leupold mediums on a sako 75 Varmint .243 so I figure I will need high rings.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with that choice but burris signiture zee rings in medium height work perfect on my rifle.

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC, the lowest rings Warne offers for the Sako 75 dovetails are mediiums, and those will let the socpe's objective bell clear with room to spare. Had those mounts on a 'bull' barreled 22-250, I went to Talley's to get her a touch lower.

If you're going with the Leupold 'Ring Mounts' (which attach directly to the dovetails) again the low rings will work. I have a couple of Swaro's with 42mm objectives in them, and there is more than enough room for the extra 1 mm a 44 will have.

I much prefer the Warnes, but Talley's are better yet.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish,

I would like Talleys to but apparently on the sako the Bases mar your action as they use a set screw which is turned tight against the top of the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if Fish meant to say the the "low" Leupold ringmounts will work with a 44mm objective. They're pretty low and do nicly with up to about 33-36mm objectives, but I think you'll need the "medium" Leupolds for a 44mm obj. I have the mediums on a Sako L61R with a Leupold 3.5-10 (non-AO), and I would judge there to be just enough clearance for a scope objective that is 2mm larger in radius. Of course, it depends to some degree on the shape and length of the scope and whether the fattest part of the objective bell extends forward of the chamber bulge. Some larger scopes can be mounted surprisingly low if the objective bell reaches out beyond the fat part of the barrel over the chamber to where the barrel tapers quickly smaller.

The Leupold "high" ringmounts cleared a 50mm objective on a Sako A-V that I helped a (misguided) friend mount, so the "medium" mount should work on a 44mm objective, provided it is not equipped with AO.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Am thinking about Warne QD's..............think that system will work better there standard rings with the sako 75. will mediums work ??

Or the Leupold ring mounts will Mediums work or will I need high with the 44mm obejctive on the conquest, friends rifle would not work with a weaver 40mm bell and the leupold mediums on a sako 75 Varmint .243 so I figure I will need high rings.

I think it will be a tight fit with Lows and your probably better off with mediums. I wish someone would try these out , they look like a solution to optilocks .Leupold QD bases

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this stage I am opting for a set of Warne QD's 1" Medium..........I think they will work better than the Warne non detatchables, tecnically they will work the same as the leupolds but do not look as delicate.

Those leupold bases look good as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, no I meant the 'Lows' on the Sako ringmounts--these are the direct to the dovetail version for Leupy, they are OK, but not as solid as Talleys or Warnes. A few folks have reported slippage with them, although I have not experienced that, only one of my rifles still has them though....and on the M-75 I have a 42 MM Swaro sitting in them with a little room to spare.

Sempre, I have tried the Leupy QD's on an M-75, and did a little report a while back, the rear mount will slightly overhang the rear dovetail on a short action, but otherwise they fit OK. I don't really care for the engagement of the dovetail into the lever, it is not real beefy, but will probably hold up OK, I think I took them off of the rifle I tried them on, it was a 308, and everything worked fine, med rings were all that was available when I tried them, and they cleared a 44 mm objective just fine. You could lock them down REALLY tight, but the levers are VERY short.....

Optilocks are good, I just don't like the rotating pin in the base to ring attachment, but with the inserts they have, I think they line up just fine...

PC, you are right, there is a set screw on the Talley bases, but I don't know if it's needed, I tap the bases forward until they are snug, and then set the screw, on the one set I removed the mark on the crosshatched surface of the dovetail his the mark awfully well....I have a couple of rigs where I didn't use the set screws at all, the bases just won't come loose, the are snugged with every shot, if in fact they ever move anywhere.

I tried the Burris bases, and they don't fit the short action dovetails well, so they are just sitting in a drawer--
Your Warne direct mounts will be great, my #1 shooting partner uses them exclusively, and is very satisfied.
Good shooting

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Stonecreek, no I meant the 'Lows' on the Sako ringmounts--these are the direct to the dovetail version for Leupy, they are OK, but not as solid as Talleys or Warnes. A few folks have reported slippage with them, although I have not experienced that, only one of my rifles still has them though....and on the M-75 I have a 42 MM Swaro sitting in them with a little room to spare.

Fish, you might want to double check which height of Leupold ringmount you have. I haven't used any on a Model 75, but have used a number of them in both low and medium on L-series Sakos and Sako M995's. On a M995 (TRG-s) a Leupold 2-7x33 objective in a low Leupold ringmount comes so close to touching the barrel that you have to hold it up to a bright light to see that it is not. And on an L61R, a Leupold 3.5-10x40 (non-AO) clears adequately with a medium Leupold Ringmount, but definately would not clear with a low.

BTW: I have six Sakos mounted with the Leupold ringmounts running from .223 up through .375 H&H. I've had absolutely no difficulty with slippage or any other problem. These mounts may be trim and lightweight, but they're also amply strong and simply need to be properly torqued down when installed.

That said, I've had no trouble with Milletts, Redfields, or original Sako mounts on two dozen other Sakos, either. Proper installation cures a lot of "problems".

P.S., I just notice that you are talking about a Sworovski. Is this a 30mm tube? If so, the 30mm Leupold ringmounts in "low" may work as there is considerable difference in the height of the 30mm vs. 1" ringmounts.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote