New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Rapid Z reticles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone out there have any experience/intel on the Zeiss rapid Z reticles?

They list them as Rapid Z-600, 800, and 1000.
I'm assuming that is the ranges they are 'calibrated' for?? Having a scope calibrated at 800 or 1000 seems like folly to me--at any rate, looking for input.

Swarovski has discontinued their TDS reticle, which I liked very much. Their new system is a half hearted mil-dot imitation IMO, and I have never schooled up on mil-dot usage, I will say I have had great results with the TDS system out to 500 yards with 'normal' calibers, e.g. 270, 300 Win, 300 WSM, 6.5x284.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a rapid z 600. I never got to test past the crosshair which are supposed to be zeroed at 200 yards because I could never find a range with more than 200 yards. It was a clear scope, but the reticle was too cluttered for me. I would aim through the cross hairs and then my eyes would play tricks on me and next thing I know I'm aiming with the next line down instead of the crosshairs. There is ranging marks on it too. maybe for some people it works, but reality was not the same as I had hoped when I bought it.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:

Hey Fish

I have a RapidZ800 in a 4.5x14x44 and recently ordered 4 of the RapidZ scopes for friends who asked my opinion (they think I'm the Gun Guru, how stupid is that Big Grin). The RapidZ 600 is availbable in the lower powers such as the 3x9 or 3.5x10, the RapidZ 800 in the 3.5x10 and the 4.5x14 and the RapidZ 1000 in the 4.5x14 to the 6.5x20. I don't think there is any difference in the spacing of the stadia, just that Zeiss figured if you wanted to shoot with the longer distance reticle you would want the larger powers. Not a bad assumption.

The trick to the RapidZ reticles is to find your way through their website to the RapidZ Calculator where you log in and then input your ballistic data. Bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, height above bore, and muzzle velocity will get you to the SUBMIT DATA button. Then hit the RETICLE ANALYSISand you get to the next page where you need to be sure and check the maximum power box and the reticle selection box and then hit the OPTIMIZE POWER button. That will show you at what power you need to set your scope on and what yardage that will make the reticle bars applicable to.

For instance for my 6.5 rem mag shooting a 140 gr Sierra Game King at 3050 fps it tells me I need to set my power on 11.85 in order to get the following

Bar 3 - 296 yards
Bar 4 - 398 yards
Bar 5 - 499 yards
Bar 6 - 600 yards
Bar 7 - 702 yards
Bar 8 - 803 yards

Bar 3 is the second line down

The scopes are excellent on their own. There were 3 of us at the 300 yard a couple of weeks ago and the bullet holes could be seen with 2 of the RapidZ 800 Conquests, not with a 15x45x60 spotting scope or the other scope which was a 4x16x50 Burris Black Diamond. Clarity is the key.

So far in reticles I have a Kahles TDS, Burris Ballistic Mil Dot, 2 Kahles MultiZeros and the RapidZ 800. I like the RapidZ best.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an RR600 designed by the same guys that designed the Rapid-Z's for Zeiss from PFI Ind. and love mine also. I also think they have the best practical ballistic reticle design around.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good to hear they work. I wish I could find a range that would had enough yardage to test the 600 reticle I had.
From what I read, the 600,800,1000, and varmit reticles are differently spaced for different classes of cartridges. The 600 for standard 30-06 to 300 win mag velocity rounds, the 800 for faster ultra mag and weatherby class velocities, the 1000 specifically for the 308, and the varmit for the super fast varmit cartidges.

Heres the descriptions and what they're for.
http://www.zeiss.com/SPORTS
Just click on the rapid-z reticles when you get to the webpage
Also like the others said, the website has a calculator that tells you what power setting to adjust to to get all the lines as close to theire actuall yardage as possable. it does this by giving the velocity, and ballistic coefficiant.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:

Hey Fish

I have a RapidZ800 in a 4.5x14x44 and recently ordered 4 of the RapidZ scopes for friends who asked my opinion (they think I'm the Gun Guru, how stupid is that Big Grin). The RapidZ 600 is availbable in the lower powers such as the 3x9 or 3.5x10, the RapidZ 800 in the 3.5x10 and the 4.5x14 and the RapidZ 1000 in the 4.5x14 to the 6.5x20. I don't think there is any difference in the spacing of the stadia, just that Zeiss figured if you wanted to shoot with the longer distance reticle you would want the larger powers. Not a bad assumption.

The trick to the RapidZ reticles is to find your way through their website to the RapidZ Calculator where you log in and then input your ballistic data. Bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, height above bore, and muzzle velocity will get you to the SUBMIT DATA button. Then hit the RETICLE ANALYSISand you get to the next page where you need to be sure and check the maximum power box and the reticle selection box and then hit the OPTIMIZE POWER button. That will show you at what power you need to set your scope on and what yardage that will make the reticle bars applicable to.

For instance for my 6.5 rem mag shooting a 140 gr Sierra Game King at 3050 fps it tells me I need to set my power on 11.85 in order to get the following

Bar 3 - 296 yards
Bar 4 - 398 yards
Bar 5 - 499 yards
Bar 6 - 600 yards
Bar 7 - 702 yards
Bar 8 - 803 yards

Bar 3 is the second line down

The scopes are excellent on their own. There were 3 of us at the 300 yard a couple of weeks ago and the bullet holes could be seen with 2 of the RapidZ 800 Conquests, not with a 15x45x60 spotting scope or the other scope which was a 4x16x50 Burris Black Diamond. Clarity is the key.

So far in reticles I have a Kahles TDS, Burris Ballistic Mil Dot, 2 Kahles MultiZeros and the RapidZ 800. I like the RapidZ best.

Woods,

Great description.
But, far too complicated for Michigan hillybillies... Big Grin

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Woods, that is helpful. I spoke to Doug at Cameraland, and this is pretty close to what he described. I think this will be my new go to scope for ranging reticles, I just don't like the new Swaro option. I DID like the TDS....

I've got a couple of Rapid Z's on order after reading this!

Thanks guys!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote