THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    To Hell with Simmons Prohunter Master Series Scopes

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To Hell with Simmons Prohunter Master Series Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have tried for months to get one of these in 6x18x40. Several retail outlets have them listed in catalogs, but just try to order one and you'll hear that this scope is not quite available yet. I tried each month for the past five months or so to get one and each time was told that Simmons is having warehouse problems, to try back in a month. I even called Simmons and was told the same story, that the company was experiencing warehouse problems and to bear with them and call my distributor next month. Well May came and a distributor informed me that it will be another month. I said to hell with it, called The Optic Zone, and ordered a Bushnell 3200 Elite in 7x21x40. I would have a hell of a lot more respect for Simmons if the company had said it was doing its damnest to get the scope in, but is having all sorts of difficulties. If a company is going to tell its distributors it will have a scope available, it should damn well honor its word. Anyway, bullshit is bullshit and to be honest, I had enough.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
It is rather ridiculous. We are passing 18 months since Simmons changed hands and promised new great designs. And they generally aren't available. Meade may be trying to upgrade the general quality of Chinese sourced scopes. Don't know if they cannot get quality or what is happening.

They would have been better off to keep the old line going, get the new one genuinely ready, and really making it available.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, you made a wise choice! Maybe the new scopes will be better (if they ever get them out), but I know lots of guys that have had problems with older ones. They have alot to prove to me!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simmons Prohunter Series in the lower power ranges, like 3x9, are out. It is the varmit/target power range I am interested in. Coltchris, there supposedly has been some change, but time and availability will certainly answer questions. Esldude: I'd kinda like to know what the real holdup is as well. Thanks for the replies fellows. Have a tolerable day, but only if you want to have one. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oft expectation fails, and most oft where most it promises; and oft it hits where hope is coldest; and despair most sits.
William Shakespeare
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

Everything is a problem.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
7X57, lets know how you like the 3200 7X21. I have been thinking abougt getting one.

arky65

people that trade freedom for security become slaves

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No prob. It is due here Monday. Tom Purdom

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I ordered one of the new Atec's in stainless online. As I had some other items backordered also, I was patient. When everything else was in I got a call from my vendor. The CSR told me that the stainless Atec's had been on backorder for a year and a half, and they had no projected delivery date.
So, I broke down and ordered a Leupold 2x7 Stainless instead. At this point, it will be a hard sell to get me to buy any Mead scope.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the new Master Series Aetec in 2.5-10x44 (matte finish) and I really like it.

The adjusments are "spot-on" and repeatable and the scope is certainly bright enough.

I have it on a light-weight .223 and couldn't ask for much more especially at $155 off e-bay.

The only thing I could say that is even slightly negative is the ring you twist to change power is a bit stiff but it doesn't really bother me as I don't change the power settings very ofter.

I will probably buy the same scope with the lighted reticle when it's available.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, I got the scope and mounted it on my CZ 527. It looks a whole lot better on top than that Simmons Whitetail Clasic 6.5x20x50. The brightness is outstanding and the sharpness is extreemly good. I will say, however, that it begins to falter in the clarity with the 21 power setting, but it is still clear and sharp enough for a p-dog way, way out there. The scope is 12.8 inches long, so on a petite little rifle like the CZ 527 it does not look out of place at all. There is no problem at all with the bolt handle clearing the ocular lens. The scope weighs in at 15 ounces. The one I took off the rifle weighed 22 ounces, but I honestly can't say that it feels any lighter. The power adjustment ring is smooth and not overly tight. The same with the adjustment ring for the parallax adjustment. My only objection at this point is the windage and elevation knobs are fairly tight and there is no slot for a screwdriver. You have to use your index finger and thumb and sometimes it feels like a chore to adjust it. It has a mil-dot reticle. I thought I would not like it, but hell folks, I do really like it. The focus ring is one of those fast-focus jobs. I got it from The Optic Zone and I was completely satisfied with the company and shipping. I just hope I didn't piss them off with my day-of-delivery frantic call about the scope suddenly being shipped off to Joplin, Mo. I transposed the last two numbers on the shipping number and got an order that came through exactly the same route, on the same day, but on Monday it took off for Joplin, rather than coming to Eudora. I called The Zone, got someone with a calm voice on the other end who said I entered the wrong numbers and to try it again. Before I had a chance to do it, the Little Brown Truck guy was at the front door ringing my doorbell. All-in-all, it was a smooth transaction for about $60 less than the other major scope outfits. I have not had a chance yet to shoot my rifle. Kansas has no public shooting grounds and the rifle clubs want your first born to join. I think I found a shooting range on the Missouri side of the things, but will have to wait on that one. For those waiting on the fence to get one of these babies, go for it. The scope is well worth the $329 I paid for it and I got free shipping to boot. The folks at The Optic Zone are tremendous people to deal with and they have a boatload of patience. Have a nice day, but only if you want to have one ... Tom Purdom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will s3cond the original statement. I bought a pro-hunter 3x940 had something inside it , sent it back the replaced it with a 3x10x44 Can't get it adjust or hold poi. I don't know what to do with this one. Guess I will send it back again hope to get lucky. My patience is runnin thin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Simmons 4x LER pistol scope and it has the turret assembly installed backwards.

so the adjustments both work backwards.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote