THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Can anyone actually testify on behalf of the new Leupold VX3i yet?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone actually testify on behalf of the new Leupold VX3i yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Waiting to hear from someone who has actually bought one & tested it.
Anybody?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used one since they first became available. It is a good solid scope but to my eyes it seems very much the same as the VX3. I have a couple of regular VX3 3.5x10 scopes and one of the newest models in the same configuration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seamaster
Have you actually compared the 2 at dawn or dusk to evaluate the VX3i's light gathering capabilities?
They claim it will give 10 to 15mn more visibility for hunting.
Would greatly appreciate your input on this.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have looked through both models at last light. The new scope is a bit brighter than the previous model, but I do not see 10 - 15 minutes of difference to my eye. The old model was quite good and the new model seems a little better.
I could see the lines on a rifle target better with the new model at dusk but how much difference it would make in a hunting situation would probably depend on the circumstances.

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havent bought and tested a VX3i yet but I did spend about about 20 minutes looking at and through some today at the local gun store while I was there today.

Here is what I can say.

The optics are very crisp and bright in the new VX3i. Considerably more than in my VX3's from a few years ago to my eyes in the early afternoon that I was looking through them today. The contrast and color was excellent too. The edge clarity was every bit as good as my VX6's which is saying something anyway. The clarity may be equally as good as a VX6 for that matter.

I also like the VXRs in that price range and the VX3i was optically better. Of course it doesn't have the illuminated reticle of the VXR or the VX6 and not the 30mm tube on the two 1 inch scopes that I looked through that they had in the display.

For the price you can't go wrong and you can't beat it. It is good stuff. Heck for twice the price I don't think there is anything that is head and shoulders better for that matter. If you re going to spend $2000 and up for some high quality rifles scopes - then hey, you should get something better. But even that isn't going to just trash these VX3is in my estimation. Leupold has don't a good job with these.

I am going to take a VX6 off one my rifles and change back to the 1 inch Talley's and just mount up a VX3i as a loaner rifle and see how it does with some bullets flying down the barrel.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote